Im feeling a little lost

Status
Not open for further replies.

only1jomo

Forum Probie
Im so confused!!! Im going to be going to EMT bootcamp in February. Im totally excited but Im also very nervous. first off, Im totally out of shape. Do I have to take the CPAt before I can start working as an EMT-B and can I even work as an EMT once I get certified?

I definately want to go all the way to paramedic and have started a workout program outlined by the Los Angeles Fire Department but Im lost as to the steps I need to take education wise. I apologize if I babbled all threw this but like I said, Im very nervous.

Thanks and have a great/safe day.

Jo

mikie

Forum Lurker
\Im totally out of shape. Do I have to take the CPAt before I can start working as an EMT-B and can I even work as an EMT once I get certified?

First, welcome! CPATs are usually a requirement for [larger] municipal (fire) departments.

You can get your EMT w/o getting a CPAT, it's not a requirement anywhere in the curriculum. HOWEVER, that is not an excuse for patient moving & lifting skills and keeping yourself healthy (not saying you aren't).

Departments I have worked on do not require a CPAT, so I was able to work without taking one. That doesn't mean I wouldn't pass it though (well, maybe ;-) )

OP
OP
O

only1jomo

Forum Probie
You're awesome!!! Thank you so much for responding. I love this site!! I so wouldn't pass it right now. In fact I think they would have to use the jaws of life to get me out of the tunnel part of the test but it's all good. I'll be ready for it. I can't wait to have a job that means something.

KEVD18

Forum Deputy Chief
emt boot camp.... is that some super accelerated emt course?

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
emt boot camp.... is that some super accelerated emt course?

8ball1.gif

KEVD18

Forum Deputy Chief
well then this is appropriate:
shakebakeL.gif

OP
OP
O

only1jomo

Forum Probie
I 100% agree. I'm definately not about slacking. It's just one less thing to be freaked out about. I'm making this decision later in life (I'm 37) and some days it's easy to second guess yourself. I've been reading other posts and all of you guys have set a lot of my fears at ease. Thank you.

OP
OP
O

only1jomo

Forum Probie
Yes emt bootcamp is a very intense 2 week course. I get excited just thinking about it!! I can't wait!!!

reaper

Working Bum
Let me be the first of many! You can not learn anything about medicine in a two week course!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OP
OP
O

only1jomo

Forum Probie
Speaking of intense training....does anyone have any advise on books, etc..that I could study to get ready?

OP
OP
O

only1jomo

Forum Probie
I agree with you too...I've been taking other classes too. The bootcamp is mainly to prepare me for the NREMT.

Sapphyre

Forum Asst. Chief
Um, UCLA? Did you already take an EMT class? I'm only asking because, well, if you don't learn it in school, your job is NOT going to teach you.

KEVD18

Forum Deputy Chief
I agree with you too...I've been taking other classes too. The bootcamp is mainly to prepare me for the NREMT.

which it will arguably do. furthermore, while you very well may be able to retain enough information to pass the test, its statistically unlikely that you will actually retain that information over time.

i know im not going to talk you out of a shake and bake emt course, so im not going to try. just be prepared to be completely and totally lost 6 months after your course.

sorry, but theres a few things i dont sugar coat. this is one of them. unless one of the "other courses" you're taking is another emt course, they may prove to be of negligible value.

OP
OP
O

only1jomo

Forum Probie
I appreciate and welcome your honesty. That's why I'm here. I am also taking classes with Los Angeles County Regional Occupational Program and I will be taking classes at UCLA. I have some learning disabilities that mean I have to do things a little differently. I have found that when I include many different types of educational tools I ace whatever I'm doing.

SmokeyBear

Forum Crew Member
Yes emt bootcamp is a very intense 2 week course. I get excited just thinking about it!! I can't wait!!!

Were you in the military or something? I have never heard of any accelerated programs except a couple newer programs specifically designed for people who learned much of the same material in the service. Two weeks seems AWFULLY condensed as well--if you dont mind my asking, what state do you live in?

Sasha

Forum Chief
Were you in the military or something? I have never heard of any accelerated programs except a couple newer programs specifically designed for people who learned much of the same material in the service. Two weeks seems AWFULLY condensed as well--if you dont mind my asking, what state do you live in?

Well if you think about it, EMT-Bs are very very basic. Splint this, push up and down real fast here, 02 and transport.

My instructor always taught the test because the real learning is really out in the field.

Sasha

Forum Chief
Let me be the first of many! You can not learn anything about medicine in a two week course!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dont you think posts like that are rather discouraging? Instead of tut-tuting his educational choices and telling him that you dont approve why not welcome him into the tribe? Whether it be a 6 month or a 2 week course, they still have to pass the same state test.

reaper

Working Bum
Please tell me what part of FL you are in? I still have family in FL and want to make ure they are safe!!

Sasha

Forum Chief
Excuse me?

Status
Not open for further replies.