I'm BLS certified!!

Glorified

Forum Lieutenant
Just passed my practical, and embarrassingly missed two written questions
(90%). Anyways, I also just passed Cardiac Arrest and Management and Airway Management. Also got a 92 on my first quiz. Just feel a lot better, and feel like bragging:p I actually did something right, as I was really nervous about doing things wrong. I missed find additional information on cardiac and verify absence of spontaneous pulse after AED is used. Got everything but OPA on BVM section. nocriticals missed.

OP
OP
G

Glorified

Forum Lieutenant
OPA and BVM are relatively simple, what did ya mess up on?

I just forgot to put in an OPA in on the BVM section before ventilating. I did remember to open te airway though.

premedtim

Forum Lieutenant
Just passed my practical, and embarrassingly missed two written questions
(90%). Anyways, I also just passed Cardiac Arrest and Management and Airway Management. Also got a 92 on my first quiz. Just feel a lot better, and feel like bragging:p I actually did something right, as I was really nervous about doing things wrong. I missed find additional information on cardiac and verify absence of spontaneous pulse after AED is used. Got everything but OPA on BVM section. nocriticals missed.

Congrats!! BLS certification definitely is one of those "ugh, will it be over already" courses but a lot of good info, despite the fact taking their shirt off before giving CPR is just simply not practical and I doubt that's what happens on actual calls. :p

EMT class is definitely interesting so far isn't it? The OPA question kinda depends, probably just read it too fast...only time an OPA would be contraindicated is if there's a gag reflex. Although if the airway is patent and the BVM is working fine, I don't see the need for inserting an OPA unless it looks like the airway /could/ be obstructed, but eh, just ramblings of a fellow EMT-B student. :D

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
despite the fact taking their shirt off before giving CPR is just simply not practical and I doubt that's what happens on actual calls. :p

EMT class is definitely interesting so far isn't it? The OPA question kinda depends, probably just read it too fast...only time an OPA would be contraindicated is if there's a gag reflex. Although if the airway is patent and the BVM is working fine, I don't see the need for inserting an OPA unless it looks like the airway /could/ be obstructed, but eh, just ramblings of a fellow EMT-B student. :D

Couple of things.. apparent they did not cover well. The OPA is inserted to to help prevent an airway obstruction. Remember, all unresponsive patients have an airway obstruction until otherwise proven, the OPA should always be attempted on patients that have < LOC below V on AVPU. The OPA is configured to prevent the tongue from falling back, and obstructing the airway (remember snoring = airway obstruction).. even with good
hyper extension of the neck is only partially effective, (Say the least with trauma patients and C-spine problems you now have potentialy damaged them).

So please remember, if they are unresponsive or have no "gag" reflex, they better have an OPA or NPA in ! If you do not, you have failed your job!

Real life is not like practicing on mannequins, and airway is especially harder than in a classroom setting. Loose floppy cheeks, thick floppy saliva tongue, and big chunks of emesis that won't suction through your suction tubing. Things, you never practiced... and yet, they have to have an airway.

The part of removing the shirt is I have yet seen a true aggressive EMS ever leave a shirt on. One cannot find and locate proper landmarks, and as well if ALS arrives defib/monitor pads will be placed upon the patient chest. so the shirt is opened or removed. Sure, we try to be modest within reason.. but usually all modesty goes out the window. If someone is concerned or aroused over either a very ill person or dead person...their sick too. Usually, we try to cover up as much as possible, but to say the least.. not one of major concerns at the time.

R/r 911

premedtim

Forum Lieutenant
Thanks for the clarity Rid. Always using an OPA/NPA could have been covered in class but I always pay attention and I didn't hear it, so. I don't think they really have that much time to go over everything because we only spent part of one class so far on airway. My instructor did comment on how OPA/NPAs aren't used nearly as much as they should be though.

Good info as always, it's nice being able to cross-check what I learn with everyone here. B)