I'm a high school student interested in becoming a paramedic...

firecoins

IFT Puppet
some places will hire 18 year olds as EMTs but won't let them drive.

Many 911 firms also do 911 service. You must do 6 months to a year of transports before being allowed to do 911.

I have no idea what is allowed for ER techs.

emtwacker710

Forum Captain
you just have to learn to manage your time, I got my EMT during my senior year of high school, and also had the FD, and my regular duty nights at the squad plus the family side, and I managed fine so it really falls back on how well you manage your time..

Firefighter27

Forum Ride Along
I'm a junior and taking emt. its hectic between school, FD, and emt classes. if have a light schedule definitely take it during your senior year. if you pass, you can use this as a job during college. as for medic, most of the emts and medics that i talked to stated that you should be an emt-b for a minimum of 2 years. good luck with the class. i hope you pass.

Sasha

Forum Chief
Also, I am a female, 5 foot 3, about 120 pounds, so I'm pretty small. Will this make it more difficult for me to get a job as a paramedic? I am pretty athletic, and I would also say that I'm somewhat strong for my size.

Any other information would be helpful, too :D

Im five foot three too! And right now I weigh 108lbs. Im small but Im mighty and any service I applied for before I had to take a break for health reasons did strength tests so they wouldnt judge you by your size.

BUT it IS difficult being shorter, I can never see if Im behind the stretcher with a patient on it, I have trouble sheet lifting because I cant reach completely over the bed and usually end up taking the nurses position or dropping down side rails and pushing instead of pulling. Sometimes I use the CPR stool. Also, usually small women like us look young. Because you look young, it will be hard to get people to take you seriously so you have to be extra careful with what you do. Ive literally been told by a patient
Its 8oclock. Isnt it past your bed time? Isnt your mother missing you? :glare:

KEVD18

Forum Deputy Chief
6 months ago. not as bad as what fsm has been dragging up, but still deceased.

Sasha

Forum Chief
Oooh.. I didnt look at the date.

AAAH ZOMBIE THREAD!!!!

Shoot em in the head!

:usa:

KEVD18

Forum Deputy Chief
careful, this one pretty young. sone of the folks from the sids thread will be along to show code it any minute now.

Sasha

Forum Chief
careful, this one pretty young. sone of the folks from the sids thread will be along to show code it any minute now.

:censored::censored::censored::censored::censored::censored::censored::angry::angry: Is what I have to say to the show coders.

Show codes make me sick. All patients deserve your very best efforts.

KEVD18

Forum Deputy Chief
:censored::censored::censored::censored::censored::censored::censored::angry::angry: Is what I have to say to the show coders.

Show codes make me sick. All patients deserve your very best efforts.

to a point. some patients shouldnt be worked if the first place though, as we've been discussing all evening in the sids thread.

Sasha

Forum Chief
to a point. some patients shouldnt be worked if the first place though, as we've been discussing all evening in the sids thread.

Im sorry, I wasnt aware that you were a doctor capable of making that call.

:D I still love you.

Last edited by a moderator:

marineman

Forum Asst. Chief
I don't want to accidentally get this old thread back on track so wannab if you still come around these parts you can PM me with any issues or questions you still have, I'm from WI so I might be able to help.

... On track over now back to your regularly scheduled bickering :D

volparamedic

Forum Probie
Becoming a Paramedic

Let me tell you, don't be afraid to apply. I am also a girl and have worked in EMS for 15 years. It wasn't always easy though. You do have to prove yourself capable.

If you can find a busy service with short shifts 8, 10 or 12 hours you can work around your school. There's a lot of students that work part time at my service and it works out well. The bigger the service the more likely you'll be able to pick up shifts.

In K-town you can be a paramedic at 18! They can give morphine but can't buy alcohol!

Good luck! Be careful once it gets into your blood....you get addicted!

Last edited by a moderator: