I'm a FNG again!

firetender

Community Leader Emeritus
I've been out of EMS since 1985 after a 12 year career on the first wave of MICU Paramedics in the country. And NO, nothing has come close to fullfilling so many parts of myself in one job description!

Since, I've been exploring other aspects of the healing arts in great detail, including the arty-arts. Sometimes, when you jump into the deep end, you need to seek a life-preserver, and the economics of Maui dictate that I make sure I have a day job (sort of).

I haven't worked for anyone since the last Century (I'm 56), having subsisted on free-lance work, primarily in writing, but an opportunity came up that I couldn't refuse, I need to sink some more money into my art, and Holy C*** I'm a Baby Boomer without medical insurance and the hour-glass is running out!

I'm now driving a van shadowing bicyclists as they ride down Mt. Haleakala, an inactive volcano on Maui! I'm required to get certified as a First Responder, and the company's paying for it, and you know what? I'm thrilled!

I suppose, just to be in the position, again, where something I do could make an immediate, life-changing difference.

That's the most important thing I have to share with you, besides that even knowing the reality of the whole mess intimately, I'm still in it for the love!

I'll be checking in.

Tincanfireman

Airfield Operations
Congratulations, and welcome back into the pool!!

Airwaygoddess

Forum Deputy Chief
Back in the saddle!!

I think that is so great! and what a beautiful to work in EMS. By the way MVM says HELLO!!! :):):)

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
That's exciting. I cycled down Mt. Haleakala in Hawaii. I made it about half way down, lost control of my bike going around a turn, and almost met my fate with a semi. I rode the rest of the way down in the van.

OP
OP
firetender

firetender

Community Leader Emeritus
Considering it's the only volcano in the world with a paved road going up to it's summit and a 38 mile downhill to the sea with one section holding 29 180 degree switchbacks, this is really serious business!

There's at least a one-hour response time of an equipt unit to the area (and here, on Maui, sad to say, the likelihood of it being any faster is remote, and the chances of it being way slower is high!).

What's cool about it is I'm using my medic skills of observation to anticipate and prevent accidents, rather than just picking up the pieces.
I'll pull people aside at arranged stops, put them into the van or let them know they need to modify their behavior, or else get to keep me company for the rest of the journey.

The really weird thing about it is, since it's in the "Service Industry" I'm working for salary and TIPS! Can you believe that? And I KNOW I've maybe saved a life or two already. And, Oh, what a surprise, they tip the least!

You, of all people, MMiz, should have laid a 20 on the guy who threw you into the van!

Last edited by a moderator: