IDIOT roomie having urine sent to lab for "weird result".....

DigDugDude

Forum Crew Member
So my roomie was at school on Friday and feeling pretty tired a girl in his class offered him a "diet pill for energy" thinking nothing of it he took it. Oh ill add that the diet pill for energy.......was phentermine a prescription pill for weight loss that's an amphetamine!

Today driving an ambo while at a stop light someone tapped his bumper. No damage no injuries was like a 2mph speed deal. Ambo company still counts it as an accident an drug tested on the spot. The on site drug test gave an inaccurate or weird response so they are sending it to a lab for further testing. Results in 3 days.

Now I will add though it sounds like it this isn't a post about me it really is a friend of mine hes just so naive about stuff like this that he's not worried. I'm curious as to what will happen with him? Obviously he will likely lose his job but how does that affect future ambulance company jobs if he lost one due to a failed drug test? Is his career over for a STUPID mistake?

Porta

Forum Lieutenant
Tell your roomie to stop taking candy from strangers.

Last edited by a moderator:

Medic Tim

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
So my roomie was at school on Friday and feeling pretty tired a girl in his class offered him a "diet pill for energy" thinking nothing of it he took it. Oh ill add that the diet pill for energy.......was phentermine a prescription pill for weight loss that's an amphetamine!

Today driving an ambo while at a stop light someone tapped his bumper. No damage no injuries was like a 2mph speed deal. Ambo company still counts it as an accident an drug tested on the spot. The on site drug test gave an inaccurate or weird response so they are sending it to a lab for further testing. Results in 3 days.

Now I will add though it sounds like it this isn't a post about me it really is a friend of mine hes just so naive about stuff like this that he's not worried. I'm curious as to what will happen with him? Obviously he will likely lose his job but how does that affect future ambulance company jobs if he lost one due to a failed drug test? Is his career over for a STUPID mistake?

Some states require employers to report this type of thing to them so it could cost him his cert or future employment.

OP
OP
D

DigDugDude

Forum Crew Member
yah,

He's also allergic to aspirin and on more than one occasion accidently taken one when asking if anyone had headache medicine. He's just a dope, but a darn good EMT.

Should he try and be up front to the station director about taking the pill from a classmate? He's only had the job for 2 weeks now. Or you guys think its a lost cause?

Aidey

Community Leader Emeritus
It isn't an amphetamine, it is similar to an amphetamine. It may show as a cross reaction on a simple drug test, but the confirmation tests should show that he does not actually have any amphetamines in his system.

That being said every employer has a different policy and what happens will completely depend on what their policy is.

Porta

Forum Lieutenant
He's also allergic to aspirin and on more than one occasion accidently taken one when asking if anyone had headache medicine. He's just a dope, but a darn good EMT.

Should he try and be up front to the station director about taking the pill from a classmate? He's only had the job for 2 weeks now. Or you guys think its a lost cause?

I would not say that's a "darn good EMT". Would a good provider take a pill that they weren't prescribed?

OP
OP
D

DigDugDude

Forum Crew Member
aidey.....

I thought most labs did the gas chromatography tests an remembering my orgo classes that breaks things down to a molecular level. Wouldn't they see the phentermine molecules?

Medic Tim

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member

Any drug test I have seen also required some sort of paperwork/incident report where you have to list all medications taken in the last X hours or days.

Aidey

Community Leader Emeritus
And so what if it shows phenteramine particles? It still isn't an amphetamine.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
He accepted a drug from a non-licensed or non-commercial source which was touted to result in results mimicking those of illegal substances. I bet the phrases "It's legal" or "It's natural" were uttered, which denoted intent to circumvent legal control.

Not bright, and that is being charitable. Deserves to cook a little. I don't have a lot of patience with these folks until they grow up and sober up.

OP
OP
D

DigDugDude

Forum Crew Member
yup.

It's sad because he's young and stupid but has the attitude and work ethic an book Amstrad that would be great for ems. It's just sad he's so new and having a blunder like this so early on. I guess now he's gotta see if he will lose his Illinois license as a result of this mess.

Veneficus

Forum Chief
He accepted a drug from a non-licensed or non-commercial source which was touted to result in results mimicking those of illegal substances. I bet the phrases "It's legal" or "It's natural" were uttered, which denoted intent to circumvent legal control.

edit: Not bright, and that is being charitable. I don't have a lot of patience with these folks until they grow up and sober up.

Exactly.

Obviously the kid is not very smart. Perhaps not ready to make decisions on patient care yet.

Natural selection.

OP
OP
D

DigDugDude

Forum Crew Member
agreed but still sucks

for him. Ill let you guys know how things went in a couple days. thanks for the responses!

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Yup. And if it comes back as positive, and he didn't declare it, his *** is grass.
If he did declare it, well, his employer may or may not make an issue of it.

socalmedic

Mediocre at best
tell "your friend" good luck. and maby its time to grow up...

OP
OP
D

DigDugDude

Forum Crew Member
i agree whole heartedly if it were me i woulda walked out as soon as they wanted a test. I wouldnt go through the whole song and dance but its too late for him now.

an what people cant have roomies? surely you guys know medics dont make jack.