I successfully passed my EMT-Basic written/practical exam... but to what avail?

Lancel

Forum Probie
Hi there, newly branded EMT-Basic here to discuss and hopefully receive some advice for a road to take.

As the title indicates, I have passed my written exam (84%) and my practical exam to be given the status of EMT-Basic in my state. The problem is, I feel like I still know very little in terms of what to do in many scenarios.

The course I took was an accelerated course. It was only 8 weeks long and it felt like we skimmed over most of the material. Don't even get me started on actually practicing the skills. Don't get me wrong, I understand that I should take it upon myself to practice the skills, but doing something yourself only does so much compared to doing it with an instructor and people who are willing to learn beside you. I also worked part time during my schooling, so I really didn't have that much time at all to practice my skills. That, on top of the extremely accelerated course, I feel like I'm sitting here with a bunch of general information but not enough to be able to control and manage every situation that you should expect an EMT to do.

You may be thinking, "but you passed your written examination with an 84%, while that isn't ideal, you generally know your stuff."

Not really. Let me tell you something about the written exam, it's a joke. I say whilst only getting an 84% because I truly feel like the questions on there don't prepare you for real life situations. I mean hell, some of my tests in class where harder than the state test. They even asked some of the same questions multiple times which left me at a loss. Why would you ask me the same questions twice? If I know the answer to it correctly the first time, obviously I know the material why give me another free point? If I answer it incorrectly both times, why does that matter? There's more material to cover is it really important to make sure I don't know the answer to a single question TWICE? Perhaps they're trying to figure out if you're guessing or if you actually knew the material but honestly there's just too much information out there to be throwing away questions like that. People who are taking this class aren't fiddling around guessing at answers, we want to see what we know.

TLDR; the state test is imo too easy. Some of the people in my class passed it and I'm pretty sure based off the classroom experience they shouldn't have.

Now for the practical. Holy ****, was this a joke.

I'm not trying to say that any of the people there are bad people or whatever, but it kind of felt like they really didn't care too much if we actually knew what we were doing or if we were kind of fumbling around and guessing at the next steps.

I actually ended up failing two stations, medical and backboarding. On Medical I didn't specify that I was transporting my patient who was having breathing issues because of asthma upright. (I just assumed that we wouldn't be lying her down due to more pressure being put on her already struggling lungs). I knew she was supposed to be upright, but I didn't verbalize it because we weren't actually forced to go through any motions, it was all verbal. On the backboarding I literally went full retard and forgot to apply the cervical collar before log rolling her onto the board. I had someone holding manual stabilization but the nerves got to me since it was my third time actually boarding someone.

I mean holy ****, my random station was bleeding control/shock management, they literally just had me verbally say "I'm going to apply direct pressure to the wound, if the bleeding doesn't stop I'm going to elevate it, and then if it still doesn't stop I'm going to apply a tourniquet and transport my patient on high flow oxygen and make sure he's kept warm". I didn't even have to move. It was weird.

TLDR; I felt like people were really there to kind of follow state guidelines and do their job for the day. It felt like they really didn't care so much how refined our skills where. I felt like I was at church when I was a kid and how no one really seemed too into the whole thing they were just kind of all... there.

TLDRR; I passed both and have my EMT-Basic certification and truly do want to get into the field and work, but don't yet possess the skills and ability to do so. How do I get more experience without having people be like: "You have your certification you should fly through all this". Also is it just me or does anyone else feel like they kind of just shoe you along in terms of the testing both written and practical?

planetmike

Forum Lieutenant
Congrats! Did you also pass the National Registry test? nremt.org?

Is there a volunteer agency near you? Join up, that would get you some real world experience as well as the opportunity to practice your skills both WITH people (the people at your squad) and ON people (your patients).

Good luck!

OP
OP
Lancel

Lancel

Forum Probie
Congrats! Did you also pass the National Registry test? nremt.org?

Is there a volunteer agency near you? Join up, that would get you some real world experience as well as the opportunity to practice your skills both WITH people (the people at your squad) and ON people (your patients).

Good luck!
No I have not, I'm aware it costs money to do so and to be honest I don't think I'm prepared enough to take it.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
If you don't feel prepared, take another class.

It's basic first aid, not rocket science.

BigDEMT

Forum Crew Member
Well, I guess it's the young age speaking but let me break it to you: there is NO entry level course that prepares you for the real world. In ANY profession!

You thing that a medical school student knows what to do or has one tenth of the knowledge needed to work as a surgeon? That's why they spend years and years learning as interns, attendants, residency etc.

Think of your driving lessons when you were a teenager, could you get in a camaro and do coast to coast racing?

There is no medical director out ther (I hope) that will put you on a call with another newbie. You will probably be partnered with an experience emt/medic that will show you the ropes.

If you really want to work in the field, get started. If you don't know something DO NOT hesitate to ask your partner or any experienced team member and you'll learn how to operate in the "real world"...

Just my .02

OP
OP
Lancel

Lancel

Forum Probie
Well, I guess it's the young age speaking but let me break it to you: there is NO entry level course that prepares you for the real world. In ANY profession!

You thing that a medical school student knows what to do or has one tenth of the knowledge needed to work as a surgeon? That's why they spend years and years learning as interns, attendants, residency etc.

Think of your driving lessons when you were a teenager, could you get in a camaro and do coast to coast racing?

There is no medical director out ther (I hope) that will put you on a call with another newbie. You will probably be partnered with an experience emt/medic that will show you the ropes.

If you really want to work in the field, get started. If you don't know something DO NOT hesitate to ask your partner or any experienced team member and you'll learn how to operate in the "real world"...

Just my .02
That's a very good way of looking at it. Thanka for the advice, I was kind of stuck in a certain perspective of looking at my situation.

Ewok Jerky

PA-C
So you thought that you would be prepared to work on an ambulance, knowing nothing about what happens on an ambulance, after 8 weeks?

Not trying to be a d, but you shouldn't jump into an accelerated course for something you have zero knowledge about. Maybe sign up for a 24-hour refresher course, or sign up for some online CME (there are plenty of threads on here for recommendations).

You passed the course pretty easily, so you at least have a base knowledge, I would bet you just lack confidence. That is not unique to you or the fact you took an 8 week course. I had a biology degree and took a traditional semester long EMT course and I thought I had no idea what was going on when I got hired. You need to just get out there and apply what you learned in class to the real world. Actually do the actual skills on actual sick peeps.

Volunteer or get a job, your ready.

No one in medicine ever stops learning, and we all started somewhere.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
It's all persepctive.

Sure. Just as you wouldn't be able to draw up plans for a home after taking a half semester mechanical drawing class. Or you wouldn't be qualified to work at Los Alamos after taking a first-year physics course.

If you feel as though you lack base knowledge, take the class again. Otherwise, get a job on interfacility transport ambulance and start running some calls. You'll realize that you know more than you thought you did. Most of the job is simply commonsense and customer service. When the patients cold, give them a blanket. Try not to drop the stretcher. Make sure all of your paperwork has the correct signatures. You'll do just fine… Thousands of people take that class every couple of months, and manage without issue.

OP
OP
Lancel

Lancel

Forum Probie
So you thought that you would be prepared to work on an ambulance, knowing nothing about what happens on an ambulance, after 8 weeks?

Not trying to be a d, but you shouldn't jump into an accelerated course for something you have zero knowledge about. Maybe sign up for a 24-hour refresher course, or sign up for some online CME (there are plenty of threads on here for recommendations).

You passed the course pretty easily, so you at least have a base knowledge, I would bet you just lack confidence. That is not unique to you or the fact you took an 8 week course. I had a biology degree and took a traditional semester long EMT course and I thought I had no idea what was going on when I got hired. You need to just get out there and apply what you learned in class to the real world. Actually do the actual skills on actual sick peeps.

Volunteer or get a job, your ready.

No one in medicine ever stops learning, and we all started somewhere.

That's okay, you're just posing questions in my opinion, an aggressive manner. Everyone has their own way of going about communicating and that's fine.

I took an accelerated course because I have taken CPR + First aid + Anatomy and Phys so I thought I had an okay baseline to at least test the course out. We all start somewhere is what I thought. I didn't think I'd be ready to go do it all on my own, no. I didn't know what to expect.

OP
OP
Lancel

Lancel

Forum Probie
Thanks
Sure. Just as you wouldn't be able to draw up plans for a home after taking a half semester mechanical drawing class. Or you wouldn't be qualified to work at Los Alamos after taking a first-year physics course.

If you feel as though you lack base knowledge, take the class again. Otherwise, get a job on interfacility transport ambulance and start running some calls. You'll realize that you know more than you thought you did. Most of the job is simply commonsense and customer service. When the patients cold, give them a blanket. Try not to drop the stretcher. Make sure all of your paperwork has the correct signatures. You'll do just fine… Thousands of people take that class every couple of months, and manage without issue.

Thanks for the responses and confidence booster. Perhaps I was subconciously just looking for reassurance, who knows. Either way your replies make me feel at ease and gave me a new perspective on the situation.

Rin

Forum Captain
Read your textbook cover to cover, and take notes. I'm betting you didn't have time for that during the course. Know your indications & contraindications. Study your skills sheets. Even though things aren't really done that way irl, they should at least give you a good idea of your priorities & considerations for each situation.

Other than that, an interfacility transport (private) ambulance company is a good place to start out. You get good beginner practice taking vitals, talking to patients, and operating the squad, usually without the pressure of emergent situations.

irishboxer384

Forum Captain
It comes down to a cross between budget, time constraints and improvisational ability of the educational provider (and it is a BASIC course after all, it doesn't claim to be an action packed realistic simulation of real-life patients).

I don't know how old you are but I'd assume pretty young...future advise for courses you do- lower your expectations but not your standards. Sit there, absorb the information and do things the way they suggest...then when you have some experience you can decide what info/training was useful and what you think is crap and won't use.