I saw open heart surgery today

Onceamedic

Forum Asst. Chief
Part of our clinicals included 4 shifts in the ACU. This was my second. The first turn I did was at night and it was dull as dishwater. I studied telemetry strips till I thought I would puke. Today was a totally different experience. My clinical partner and I went to the OR to observe a mitral valve replacement. It was so cool I can't believe it. I never understood before why a patient has to be strong enough for heart surgery. To be able to watch the physiological reactions to different interventions was eye opening. Watching the doc crack the chest and then sew in the canulas to bypass the heart and lungs was out of this world. When the blood was diverted and that heart was stopped it was amazing. The patient was asystole for over an hour. We were able to see the patient's valve after it was removed and saw them size the replacement and sew it into place. Watching the ETCO2 wave when the patient was on the heart/lung bypass was really great too. Every once in while, they would vent the CO2. If you didn't understand that the only way to get rid of CO2 is to blow it off, this very much reinforced that concept.
It took 3 shocks to return the heart to an organized rhythm. I couldn't tell from the monitor whether it was sinus or not, but it was narrow complex and at at good, regular rate.
I was gratified to see all the drugs, recognize them, and understand why they were being used. I am grateful that I had this opportunity and I wanted to share it with you guys.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
Glad you were able to see true advance life support. As far as Acute Care Unit being boring, I am sure that there might be something there that you may not see. Many of my students had thought the same, until I started hving them reivew charts and to find out anion gap levels that was way out there.. also finding out that many of the patients was actually in for poor surgical procedures (knicked bowel, laccerated artery) etc...

Not all critical patients are cardiac, and many are in the view of death with medical problems. Look around and you might be surprised what you will find!

Good luck,

Rr 911