I ran over a rabbit

Sasha

Forum Chief
Best advice I received as a kid.

If it is smaller then a cow, run it over!

Too many accidents caused by people swerving to avoid a rabbit or squirrel!

But i love rabbits :[

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief

Medic744

Forum Captain
My partner and I were sitting at a red light when a dove flew smack into our truck, fortunately they were in season, JK. On of the local FF ran over a Mommy duck and her babies in the fire truck, in front of a group of small children. He couldn't avoid it but we haven't let him live it down yet.

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
Bunnies are at Easter, rabbits are at dinnertime.

R/r 911

She doesn't celebrate Easter.

I ran over a squirrel a couple of months back. It ran in to the road, so I ran the middle of my car over it. Started out good and I started to think "He lived".. then I heard a clunk. I stopped once I could see him (it was a residential road) and I saw him stick his head up. At that very moment a car came around the corner and CLUNK.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sasha

Forum Chief
She doesn't celebrate Easter.

Actually, I do. I celebrate it as a time to be with my family and friends and watch the children have a blast hunting eggs.

Sasha

Forum Chief
So do you celebrate it, or do you use it as family time?

I celebrate the holiday and what it means to me. What it means to me is a time to be with family and friends and watch the children enjoy themselves, and eat a ton of food.

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
So... do you celebrate Easter the holiday... or do you celebrate the family?

Legit question.

EDIT: Not trying to do ANOTHER atheist battle, just trying to get something figured out.

reaper

Working Bum
I am sure that she enjoys the American easter, that has nothing to do with religion. Hallmark has made sure of that. She can celebrate easter has in having egg hunts and easter baskets. You can celebrate it as the resurrection day. It is a personal choice of which way you go!

Sasha

Forum Chief
So... do you celebrate Easter the holiday... or do you celebrate the family?

Legit question.

EDIT: Not trying to do ANOTHER atheist battle, just trying to get something figured out.

What don't you get? I celebrate the HOLIDAY. I celebrate WHAT IT MEANS TO ME. Not that it's any of your business!

HotelCo

Forum Deputy Chief
And... the Easter thing is over. Let's not hijack this thread. PM if you want to discuss it further, thanks. :)

Back on topic: If I'm on a city street and there is an animal in the road, I'll stop until it moves. That gets some people mad, but so be it.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
Rabbits, opossum, armadillos..kitties, puppies, You name it, (we try to avoid small children)small enough to go under the bumper will get ran over. That is just part of the business. Animals will hear the siren and be attracted as well I do believe there are some suicide attacks occasionally as they will purposely dart in front of me.. even birds having been doing that lately?

R/r 911

Sasha

Forum Chief
I avoid hitting animals if it is possible to do it safely.

Medic744

Forum Captain
We have yet to hit them in our POVs but our station is next to a large wooded area and we have a group of deer that scamper all over our property and then into the neighborhood on the other side of us. We haven't hit them, but we do have deer feeders out and Im sure anybody that hunts knows why.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
My partner nailed an opossum on Saturday night with the truck as we were returning from a call.

She felt awful about it.

Me? Not so much.

OP
OP
O

Orion619

Forum Probie
First off NEVER SWERVE! If you cant avoid from hitting an animal safely especially a small animal just run it over. Its not worth the risk. It is alot better than you swerving to avoid the animal and driving straight into a tree, ditch or another vehicle.

I wouldn't say never, I definitely think there are some situations when it can be used depending on the situation, traffic, speed, car, road size. This street/area is pretty wide, 2 lane on both sides and a broken yellow center lane @ approx 35mph.

My split second decision thought process:
see rabbit, too close for brakes, opposing lanes are clear of obstacles, evasive maneuver.

Now if there was an obstacle or something of that nature close by, I wouldn't have hesitated to run over it.

CAOX3

Forum Deputy Chief
Best advice I received as a kid.

If it is smaller then a cow, run it over!

Too many accidents caused by people swerving to avoid a rabbit or squirrel!

Smaller then a cow? What the hell our you driving Grave digger?