i need help!

EMTalex

Forum Crew Member
anyone got any tips for studying? I know everyone is different, but i just cant remember anything on the test day!

Celtictigeress

Forum Captain
Dont push it Most will find their brain reaches a "meltdown"take breaks in between studying I use clues to help me initials like in elementary school "Please excuse my dear aunt sally.." Parenthesis xponants multiply divide add subtract.. youd be amazed at How many things you can prioritize in that manner

with me...Id go out with my better half to Ruby Tusdays and get a tall cake (chocolate)hed quiz me for each one I got right I took a bite GREAT motivation

OP
OP
EMTalex

EMTalex

Forum Crew Member
hehe, nice. I like that! i've still got 3 weeks before my midterm, but i really want to nail this test so i can get ride along time.....am i stressing out to much?

MedicPrincess

Forum Deputy Chief
am i stressing out to much?

Yep.

But i'm one to talk, I have only had 4 hours sleep in 3 days trying to prepare for our Acid-Base Balance, Fluid & Electrolytes exam.

Coming up with easy ways to remember stuff is great. Think SAMPLE history. You know SAMPLE all you have to do is follow the letters and you got your assessment.

Or pick up on little parts of the word. How I remembered that cations are positive is the small "t" in cation looks like a (+). Or, as silly as it is, Acidosis is a CNS depressant because there is a "D" in acidosis and depressant starts with one. Or, "Dead people don't breath" is how I remembered in Alkalosis your RR & CO2 are low, and your least likely to survive getting alkaline.

Ok...so see...make stuff up that will trigger your memory at test time.

Take breaks. Lots of them if you have to. My study partner and I took breaks almost every half hour. He would go play a round of Halo and I'd play on POGO. Or if we were at the park, we'd go walk down to the water and throw rocks in or kick sand or watch people go by and I'd tell him "their story" while he looked at me like I just grew a third head. Just screw around for a bit. Something non test related.

And on test day....try as hard as you can not to cram all day. Just study regularly and on test day review key points. By then either you know it or you don't.

When you go to take the test, take a deep breath. Read it and try to answer it without looking at the choices. If your answer is there, then VIOLA you knew it. If not, then work through it.

islandgal

Forum Crew Member
For me and studying- I can read through text, but I have found for me to remember better I need to write it down- rephrasing or outlining the information in my own words. I use 4X5 cards to write out facts, definitions, or questions to quiz myself (this especially helps cause you can carry them with you and review when you have a spare minute). Also, like EmtPrincess suggested, using acronyms or mnemonic devices really helps your memory.

Write out all the info you need to cover so you can schedule your time and check off each section you cover. It sucks to be cramming the night before or worried you forgot something. Get a good nights sleep before your exam!
Good luck!!:)

Tincanfireman

Airfield Operations
Don't study right up to bedtime; if you don't know it by then you never will. Get a good solid night's sleep and eat a reasonable breakfast. Leave a few minutes early and visit the bathroom before going in. Have faith and confidence that you have done your very best to prepare for this test. Know that everything on the test has been covered in the class. ALWAYS go with your instincts (the first guess) on the inevitable stumpers. Do not ever, under any circumstances (get the drift?) go back through the test and change answers. Leave the test room, relax, visit the bathroom again when you're finished, and know that there's not a damn thing you can do to change your answers now, so stressing over it is useless. Know that we are all here pulling for you!!