I HAVE BEEN APOINTED SHIFT LEADER...

SMART GUY

Forum Ride Along
I am in my 3rd week of my EMT training, and i was one of four chosen to be shift leaders. I am an excelent leader and being ex-military i can be a hard ***. This class means alot to me as it pertains to my life goals.

I was wondering if any of you have had the opportunity to be assigned this task in a learning/teaching envornment and if you had any tips/tricks/hints.

My philosophy will basically consist of study hard, have fun doing it, and do it once do it right, because when it comes down to it you might not get a 2nd chance.

Thank you!
-Dane Springer
Placerville, CA

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Originally posted by SMART GUY@Sep 1 2005, 11:29 PM
I am an excelent leader and being ex-military i can be a hard ***.
A word to the wise...

You're not in the military any more, and you can't treat people the same way you did when you were. Being a hard *** in EMS is not always the best thing. Also, the true leaders in EMS are the ones that lead by example and not by order.

Good luck in class, and welcome to our own little corner of dysfunction.

coloradoemt

Forum Asst. Chief
Originally posted by ffemt8978+Sep 2 2005, 01:44 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (ffemt8978 @ Sep 2 2005, 01:44 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-SMART GUY@Sep 1 2005, 11:29 PM
I am an excelent leader and being ex-military i can be a hard ***.
A word to the wise...

You're not in the military any more, and you can't treat people the same way you did when you were. Being a hard *** in EMS is not always the best thing. Also, the true leaders in EMS are the ones that lead by example and not by order.

Good luck in class, and welcome to our own little corner of dysfunction. [/b][/quote]
Could not have said it better!!! I am ex-military as well. The one shift leader I have that leads with a military mentality is not well liked and deffinately not respected. You can do what you will but if you do not leave the military way of thinking behind I would bet you incur more hard feelings than respect and will eventually fail as a leader.

OP
OP
S

SMART GUY

Forum Ride Along
Yall got me all wrong, i am more than capable with leading w/o a military mentality. What i do need is tips on being an effective leader in an EMT situation.

Critique with poitive and rarely negitive...

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Shut up and listen to the medic :D

Seriously . . . KNOW the chain of command (so to speak). As for being an effective leader in EMS - Have a gold badge and a big 'ol white helmet :rolleyes:

I can't come up with anything really serious to say right now... someone else help the new guy out.

Jon

PS - Welcome!

coloradoemt

Forum Asst. Chief
Running a scene can be as easy or as hard as you make it. Evaluate the scene, figure out what you need done, figure out what you want to do or can do yourself, divvy out those tasks you cannot get done to the proper personnel above or below you, know those peoples strenghths and weaknesses, never be so stupid or arrogant that you cannot take helpful advice, stay calm its not your emergency, know if you are in over your head or not and speak up about it to someone who is not, under no circumstance ruffle your feathers with anyone on a scene, be safe and work well with others even the sorry *** ones.

there is a start and I am sure others will add..