I HATE my partner

ExpatMedic0

MS, NRP
Sounds like you came on here to vent and blow some steam off, fair enough.

Its going to be awkward, but you have to just sit down and talk like 2 grown men(or women). Don't go all crazy on your partner. I also think there are 2 sides to this story.
You don't need to be friends, but you have to make some kind of working professional relationship work. I have had partners I did not care for, I just ignored them on my shift until we had to do work. Then, if they did something I felt was wrong while conducting work activities, I just addressed it with them directly. Correcting in front of a patient is a real pet peeve of mine, unless its effecting safety or patient care, its best to correct later, after the call, when your not in front of the patient. After the call, talk to your partner and tell him/her, then tell them how it makes you feel. Also, if they only mention negative things you did, maybe ask if they could also mention positive things, that you did well.

Last edited by a moderator:

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
I'm going to go ahead and disagree with some previous posts. I think I get what your saying so here's my 2 cents.

You can still talk to a manager and not be known as the one who can't work well with others. I would suggest framing this more as asking your supervisor for advice on how YOU can improve your working relationship with your partner. Make it about you actively trying to improve the situation and not just wanting someone else to deal with it. Don't even bring up the idea of a new partner.

Good luck!

Indeed

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
I work for a transport service. Its not hard work. Its very simple its the same thing every call. This guy has a history of being a prick. He likes to make himself feel better by trying to belittle you. Especially with new people. He's on the verge of being fired. None of these people know what's going on. Your going to assume all these people are right because they said the same thing? Do you not know how to think for yourself?

Start by reading the responses; I quoted myself. We all said the same thing because its likely your best option. As others have said though, 1) you sound like you're part of the problem, and 2) you didn't actually come here for help or advice. So do what you want. Nothing anybody says here is apparently sinking in anyway.

drose

Forum Probie
Hey buddy I know what you're going through. Went through the same idiotic :censored::censored::censored::censored: when I started. Had me even thinking about moving on to another profession. Thats one of the things that irks me about EMS is these pompus a holes who think they know it all because they've been working in ems for a few years. Only advice I can give you is stick around and if you don't like it just drop it and move on to another profession. I've been an EMT for almost a year and whenever I work with someone new I take my time because everyone has been that new person.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
It is somewhat concerning that you aren't able to perform properly when your partner is watching you. Like it or not, sometimes things have to be done right the first time, no excuses. I have certainly had partners in the past that made me self conscious about how I did things, and it did affect my performance. But you just have to get over it, there isn't really anything else to say about that. If you say you know how to do your job, go out there and just do it.

If you keep making excuses for yourself you're not going to get anywhere, and frankly that's all you've done in this thread.

neoclassicaljazz

Forum Crew Member
For a second I thought I was on facebook when I read the complaint. Just don't make mistakes, would be a simple solution. If I make a mistake I would hope that whoever I am running with would point it out so that I can better myself and hopefully not make the mistake again.

mgr22

Forum Deputy Chief
Who are you to tell me to get a different job? Just from my post you think you know where I belong? You know nothing about me. Your response is dumb and ignorant

Josh4010, you came to this site looking for feedback. When you do that, there's no guarantee you're going to like, or agree with, the replies. The best advice I can give you, without knowing anything about you, is to try being less adversarial, and to consider the possibility that such behavior might be part of the problem you're having with your partner.

fma08

Forum Asst. Chief
You've done this for 4 months, you don't know what you're doing.

When I hear someone say, "I know how to do my job", that means they 100% know the ins and outs of how to perform their job. I'm sorry, but after 4 months you don't know how to "do your job" yet. This isn't a Wal Mart cashier position where probation lasts 3 months. You're in EMS.

These.

Check your ego at the door and accept criticism/feedback/help in all forms, otherwise you'll end up killing someone. You don't have to like the delivery, but take the help. If he's as bad as you say and "about to get fired", suck it up and stick it out. You'll have a new partner in no time.

ZombieEMT

Chief Medical Zombie
Premium Member
I work for a transport service. Its not hard work. Its very simple its the same thing every call. This guy has a history of being a prick. He likes to make himself feel better by trying to belittle you. Especially with new people. He's on the verge of being fired. None of these people know what's going on. Your going to assume all these people are right because they said the same thing? Do you not know how to think for yourself?

Well if this is the case, then why would you worry about being known as the one that isn't compatible with anyone? You insist that he is on the verge of being fired, which means that they must also realize the things he do. I think you would be safe to ask for a new partner.

Glucatron

Forum Crew Member
I was assigned to a partner and i absolutley hate him with all my hearts content. This is my first ems job and ive been working for this company for 4 months now. Also my partner was the one who trained me when i first started. The training period is 2 weeks and then your released with a partner. But recently he wanted to be my permanent partner. And he still treats me like im in training. He critiques EVERYTHING I DO AND SAY. He is a smartass everytime i try to make a conversation. Like he is against me or some :censored:? And I know how to do my job correctly. But when i have a partner who constanlty judges my every move and I feel im constantly being starred at and ill make a few minor mistakes because im under pressure from this :censored:. I dread going to work everyday. He tells me do to do the obvious in front of patients. He trys to make me himself feel better by trying to make me look stupid. Once he does his attitude changes and gets a lil confidence boost out of it. Im close to snapping on this guy and just telling him to shut the :censored: up and let me do my job. I would go to my supervisor but i really dont want a record of being incompatible to work with others so idk what I should do? Advice? Anyone had similar problems?

I haven't met your partner or you so it's hard to judge. He trained you so I am assuming he's worked in the field longer. I work with a partner who has been doing this for years and years. I consider myself new and I have been working in this field for almost two years. I would probably start listening to what he has to say. If he is just giving you his input on your performance and how to improve then it's you who need to relax and listen. You have only worked in this field for 4 months. In blunt terms you are a baby, a noob. This honestly sounds more like a rant from someone who is taking things personally and not allowing constructive criticism. Don't get me wrong, if he really is being a douche bag and saying unhelpful criticisms like "you suck at this, this and this" without offering advice or a solution than you may be justified in feeling victimized. Also, it doesn't say anywhere that you have tried communicating to him. If you are that bothered than tell him. Tell him professionally and list your reasons why you feel that way. He may explain that he is trying to help you and didn't realize he was coming on that strong. However, this is the reason why new EMTs and medics have a bad reputation. So many of them flush out because they think after EMT school they are suddenly good at their job and know what they are doing. Wrong, so very wrong. From there it's a very steep learning curve on a hill made of quicksand and uneven ground. It's rather strange, atleast to me, that they clear EMTs after 2 weeks (especially without prior experience).

lightsandsirens5

Forum Deputy Chief
Alright...ffemt already warned you people once to play nice.

One more post that doesn't contribute to mature discussion, or one more condescending or rude post...and this thread will be going to an early grave.

Glucatron

Forum Crew Member
Yes I have. I told him I know how to do my job. So then he says okay the next call im not going to do anything and let you figure it out by yourself. So that next call I was under pressure from this guy and made mistakes I normally would never make because he is constantly starring at me like im an idiot and waiting for me to make a minor mistake. One example was we were transferring a patient from the hospital bed to the stretcher and i never seen this type of bed before so I didn't know how to unlock the bed to move it close to the stretcher. This guy has been at this company for 3 years. So instead of helping me he just stands there and looks at me like I'm a moron as I try to figure out how to unlock the bed. It's just minor things like that. And then he makes smarta** remarks about it. He makes my confidence drop and Im starting to feel bad about myself. Ive never had this problem with anyone else.

No, YOU make your confidence drop. You are projecting your issues onto him. You say you know how to do your job so he stands back and lets you do it. He told you he will stand back. That means you control the scene. So then you stare at the bed not knowing what to do and never ask for help and yet in the end it's his fault? You give the impression that you are going to throw any partner you get under the bus no matter what they say just as you are doing with every person who comments. Also, it's a cop out to say we won't listen. We are listening for you to better explain your situation, you have yet to do so.