I feel like a failure

WhoMe

Forum Ride Along
I had been an EMT for a few years prior to my Medic class...

I busted my a$$ during class, made excellent grades, understood everything. I did great in clinicals and was offered a job at the place where I was doing my field internship and the place I was doing clinicals to work as a medic after I passed NREMT testing. I LOVED what I was doing!

I took the NREMT-P practicals and passed them all the first time.

BUT I tool the written test all 6 times and failed each time... I made a passing grade 5 of the 6, but failed overall...

I could take the Paramedic class over again... but why? I don't even want to be in EMS anymore and this whole ordeal has ruined my self esteem...

I just needed to get this off my chest! I am 23 and I have no future!:sad:

I just found out I failed for the 6th time this past Friday. Everytime I see an ambulance I feel like I am going to be sick and I can't stand being at my EMS job "where I am now"...

Last edited by a moderator:

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
First off - Welcome to EMTlife.

As for your dillemma - That sucks.

Don't give up completly, though - there are always possibilites.

What about nursing school? How about being a dispatcher or working in an ER/Critical Care hospital-based setting?

OP
OP
W

WhoMe

Forum Ride Along
I strongly considered nursing school considering the salaries they make, but why would I think I could pass the nursing tests if I couldn't pass the Medic tests! lol!

Besides, I HATE being stuck inside all day...

At this point I am thinking about working as an EMT a few more years and then going back to Medic school.

Did I mention the school I went to has LOTS of problems! I should have listened to the advice of other medics and avoided the school I went to!

disassociative

Forum Captain

Maybe it is just the way you comprehend the data. Alot of people can do the skills with their eyes closed, but when it comes to written exams they freeze up.

Find a good test taking strategy book; for instance, I remember the NCLEX-RN book, I read; it said that there are 2 kind of thinkers in this world; those who think data and those who think illustration. It is all about catering the question to meet your form of thinking. Go through your college's book store looking for a couple of these books and see if that helps. Best of luck to you bud.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
Sorry for your dilemma. These problems should had been recognized before completion of the program. Unfortunately, many schools do not emphasize rigorous examinations to prepare for boards or indicate potential problems later.

I hate hearing incidences like yours. Many students have problems either taking written examinations, either having reading comprehension, or basically lack an understanding of the minimal requirements for being an EMT/Paramedic. Again, these things should had been noticed by the education facility, and recommendations should had been made before and prior to completion of the program.

I have seen several that was never able to enter the work force because of testing issue, both EMT and Nursing levels. However discouraging, this does not represent or reflect ones personal intelligence, only knowledge in one specific area. I have students with Masters Degree fail out, again this not reflect upon them as a person by any means.

I personally would not suggest re-entering or taking any more EMS courses. As much as this hurts, this may an indication for you to explore your horizons elsewhere. I definitely do not recommend nursing, the tests involved is much more complex and yes, if one can imagine it, more vague than the NREMT.
I am sure, there is a career for you that have not explored yet and will excel in. I wish you the best of success of what ever route you choose.

Good luck in the future,
R/r 911

OP
OP
W

WhoMe

Forum Ride Along
Thanks again for the advice (especially Ridryder!)

I tried getting some advice from the agency I work for, but they weren't any help. This has all been like a really weired dream for me and I keep hoping I am going to wake up, but its not going to happen I guess.

I am already going through the application process for the local Sheriffs Academy and I plan on working as an EMT-B for another year or so, but first I guess I have to "make peace" with this horrible experince!

Thanks again for the help!

FFMedic1911

Forum Crew Member
First let me start by saying the NREMT written test no way reflects on how someone will be as a medic. This is a test generated to not let people pass. Some may disagree, but come on what kind of test has two right answears. Don't let this get you down. I know a Medic that went through class twice and finally passed on the 12 time taking the test. It is about how bad you want this. Take the class again. You will pass if it is what you want. To all that is wondering yes I would let the medic that took the test 12 times work on me. I have had conversations with him and he knows what he is doing. His problem was he had trouble reading and maybe this is your problem, but dont give up. The world needs medics that wants to do the job, and not just look good for the ladies.

HorseHauler

Forum Lieutenant
Sorry to hear that. I'm in medic class now and I fear every day about making it on to next term. My term final is coming up on next wed for cardiac and i'm scared to death just about that. I may be wrong, or it may be different in your state, but I thought (here at least) if you fail all the chance you get, you can take the medic refresher course and try again, without having to take the whole class over. If this is the case, sounds to me like you should find a refresher course at a different school if you keep hearing bad things about the place you took your class at.

I wish you the best of luck, and sounds to me like you know what your doing saying you past the practicles and written in all your classes, those are hard anyways. My advice don't give up, I'm sure you'll be a good medic when you pass the darned NR.

Good luck,
Eric

OP
OP
W

WhoMe

Forum Ride Along
Well, I have wanted to be a paramedic for a VERY long time...

I was depressed for a few days, but I am over it now. I am not the type to get depressed over something...

I don't want my experince to scare any current medic students either...

I just dedicated the last four years to my job. This is what I have done since I graduated high school and I have never done anything else! Its all I know. I would be content as an EMT-B for the rest of my life, but EMT don't make squat for pay. I know money shouldn't be an issue if you like your job, but I could go flip burgers and make more money!...

My apologies for my ranting and childish whining!:unsure: :wacko:

At least I feel ALOT better though!B) B)

Raf

Forum Lieutenant
I think EMT-B's make a lot more than folk working at McDonalds. A lot more benefits and more useful skills too...

but I know what you're saying on wanting to become a medic.

You already went through the schooling which is the hard part that takes effort and money. Don't worry about the test, I'm sure you will learn the in's and out's of it and you will obliterate it soon.

If you start working as a paramedic, that will start to pay off all the schooling cost.

Guardian

Forum Asst. Chief
Ridryder, are you telling Whome to give up on his/her dream of becoming a paramedic? If so, i would disagree. There is a problem that can probably be fixed here. Whome sounds like a pretty smart person so i don't think it's a problem with IQ. My advice would be to find out what the problem is and fix it. If it's a reading problem, learn how to read and take some reading classes. Maybe it's Whome's paramedic program in which case he/she should find a new paramedic class. The one thing you don't do is give up on a dream. You take that test 100 more times and get back to me. Taking the test six times shows that whome has a lot of fortitude and we need people like that in ems.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
First I wish you the best of luck in LEO. I am sure you will succeed. The old saying when a door closes another opens is so true.

I never attempt to discourage anyone that really wants to pursue, but there has to be a limit. After 6 attempts one has taken every NREMT tests. As well the NREMT does not ever attempt to "fail" anyone, and actually has one of the higher pass rates for a medical board type exam. The main point it is the most correct, not always just the correct one This is even pointed out & discussed on their application form, web-site and brochures, in which I doubt many students ever read. There is a reason for their madness, this type of test has to do with education and testing criteria as well as professional credentialing.

If one does pass the exam, one still has to similar test for the remainder of that persons career. I know our testing for employment is twice as hard as the NREMT, as well as one has to take ACLS, PALS, etc.. type exams similar to the same structure of NREMT to maintain certification level. Not that can't be done but can be very difficult for some. With this undue stress many leave the profession.

Again, best of wishes, keep in touch, and we wish the very best of luck!

R/r 911

Last edited by a moderator: