I/c

EMT B

Forum Captain
Looks like I am going to be the Training Officer for the Beach I work at. I will be in charge of doing the Lifeguard/First Aid/CPR recertifications. I will also be helping with the teaching of our 2 weeks of inservice before the season starts. My question to you guys, is what do you think is "too much" info for these guys?

What I really want to do is get a little bit more advanced than what the curriculum asks for. I want to do things like add some components of A&P to the class (mostly with the ABCs) since that is mostly all we do as lifeguards. The other thing I would get into a little bit of A&P with is blood pressure, more specifically shock and anaphylaxis I also would like to look into training them to do CPR for longer (put them all through 5 minutes of CPR solo before help arrives). One of my final "big ideas" would be basic vital sign obtaining (radial pulse, respirations, capillary refill, gcs, pain scale.) I'd like to cover that,in addition to the required: lifting and moving patients (including backboarding), cpr and aed use, splinting, bleeding control, medical emergencies, water rescue techniques, jetty rescue, combative patient scenarios, jet ski rescue, atv operations, basic radio communications, and endangered species awareness and protection.

There are about 30 of us and we have about 80 hours to do all that in. Thoughts?

Edit: Im also speaking with the town medical director and the captain to get oxygen on the beach (at the very least for me) and get the squad certified in administering emergency oxygen

Last edited by a moderator:

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief
OP
OP
E

EMT B

Forum Captain
im not so much concerned with the curriculum at this point in time as i am the amount of time i have to do the training.