Hybrid EMT course

Drivesrf

Forum Ride Along
So I would like to take finally get my EMT certification. The only issue is I work a rotating schedule so a traditional class does not work. I would like to take a hybrid course. What I would like to do the book work online and meet with a paramedic/EMT trainer that I know to do the skills. Does anyone know where to get the course materials and not pay $4,000 for one of those companies that have you come to their training site to do a week of skills? Or have any other ideas for someone in my situation? Thanks in advance!

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
I've not heard of a course where you can test out of the skills with "someone you know". If you take a hybrid class, you're going to have to go to the facility (or approved clinical site) to test out. That being said, there are several EMT hybrid classes on line. Perhaps you can find one with a test site near you. But, you're going to pay through the nose for a hybrid class.

My advice? Don't try to reinvent the wheel. Just take a class. People with crappy schedules have been taking EMT classes for years. Trade shifts, take sick or vacation time. Make it work.

Ans FWIW, for most people, the muscle memory is what makes the difference. You'll need to practice the skills several times before your competent enough to meet the NREMT skill check sheet. You can't just show up, do it once and expect to be competent.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
So I would like to take finally get my EMT certification. The only issue is I work a rotating schedule so a traditional class does not work. I would like to take a hybrid course. What I would like to do the book work online and meet with a paramedic/EMT trainer that I know to do the skills. Does anyone know where to get the course materials and not pay $4,000 for one of those companies that have you come to their training site to do a week of skills? Or have any other ideas for someone in my situation? Thanks in advance!
I have never seen a hybrid class that was anywhere close to being a good deal. There's nothing wrong with them, and there is a reason they have time requirements they do for their skills.

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?
My advice? Don't try to reinvent the wheel. Just take a class. People with crappy schedules have been taking EMT classes for years. Trade shifts, take sick or vacation time. Make it work.

This. Where I help with skills theres two classes. A traditional class (lecture and skills in class) and a hybrid class (lecture online and skills in class). From my observation the traditional class is 10x better when it comes to skills testing than the hybrid. It may not be like this everywhere but from what I've noticed and being a student myself is that with a instructor lead lecture students tend to learn better than a online "do it yourself" type of lecture. Just a observation of mine. Oh and for the most part I've never heard of a EMT program costing $4,000, the last cost for a EMT class (in my area) was around a grand.

Corey

Forum Probie
I took a hybrid course, and it was basically twice a week in class for a total of 8 hours a week. Occasionally, we would come in on Saturdays for 6-8 hours to work on skills. Majority of the reading was based online which had follow up quizzes and tests. I found this type of class to work great with my schedule. I passed the NREMT on my first try, but I also have already studied biology at a University, so I was already exposed to much of the material, aside from the skills and assessments. The program cost was roughly $1200, included the book, CPR cert, stethescope, uniform, and access to the online lectures/quizzes.

Reuben De La O

Forum Ride Along
There. I was offered the hybrid course by my college because I live about a half hour away. I would suggest trying to take the traditional course.

MadeEMT

Forum Ride Along
I had a friend take a 12 day hybrid course in Michigan from Northern Cairn, passed the first time on the NREMT exam. He said it was a terrific course, wants to go back and get his AEMT next at the same school.