Hybrid EMT Class

OahuCPRTraining

Forum Ride Along
Student Once Again

Im in a strange situation where I am an EMS Educator, specializing in Prehospital EMS and Wilderness Emergency Care training, but I am now also an EMT-B student all over again.

About 10 years ago I decided that I had enough of being on a fire department and rescue squad and let my certifications lapse (PTSD). Now I am having to start all over again at the EMT-B level, so I decided to do the hybrid model this time.

I take the entire course online, and self study, then the final week in class in February for lectures, skills testing, exams, etc.

For me, since I have no plans of ever climbing back onto a rig again, this way seemed to be the logical solution to get my NREMT back.

I started the class about 2 months after everyone else did, so I am having to really cram to get it all in before February. I am also dreading having to fly from warm sunny Hawaii to the icy cold mountains of Idaho in February to attend the final week of the class. My blood is WAY too thin for that now, lol.

Since I will not be on a rig treating patients, I could not see spending the next year at the local community college so the state "recognizes" my cert and I can get licensed. I have no need for a license since I am not practicing any longer, I am strictly an educator now, so NREMT is good enough for me.

Trying to switch gears from the educator role to that of a student after over 25 years is a lot harder than I thought it would be. It is difficult to stay motivated to complete at least 2 chapters each day that I have to do to finish with the rest of my class.