Human Factors psychology in EMS

BOSlife

Forum Crew Member
Hello all!

Almost through my medic program in Sanford, Florida. Finished up el verano de cardiology.. ACLS and megacode. check.

Thinking of moving on after medic and finishing my bachelors before I settle in at an agency. Currently working as a transport EMT.

Been doing some research in to Human Factors Psychology program at Embry Riddle in Daytona... Have talked to some other medical HF people and have advised it is a cutting edge field for evolving EMS.

What does everyone think? .02 appreciated :)

Christopher

Forum Deputy Chief
Hello all!

Almost through my medic program in Sanford, Florida. Finished up el verano de cardiology.. ACLS and megacode. check.

Thinking of moving on after medic and finishing my bachelors before I settle in at an agency. Currently working as a transport EMT.

Been doing some research in to Human Factors Psychology program at Embry Riddle in Daytona... Have talked to some other medical HF people and have advised it is a cutting edge field for evolving EMS.

What does everyone think? .02 appreciated :)

I think we've been fools to ignore it, and we'll continue to be fools until we accept it. CRM training for EMS crews is invaluable...sometimes it is as simple as teaching people how to raise concerns in a manner which is respectful AND understood.

(but I'm a curmudgeon in an industry that lives on HFACS and defense in depth)

Wes

Forum Lieutenant
I think the real question to ask is what your ultimate career goal is.