How to help a fellow brother?

jhall98

Forum Crew Member
I have a friend who runs on the ambulance, as I haven't been running long myself I haven't seen much to be honest, last week my friend had to do CPR for the first time, they told me they had been having nightmares about it even though the person was brought back.. they say they're fine but I feel there should be more I can do. Thanks for reading.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
I have a friend who runs on the ambulance, as I haven't been running long myself I haven't seen much to be honest, last week my friend had to do CPR for the first time, they told me they had been having nightmares about it even though the person was brought back.. they say they're fine but I feel there should be more I can do. Thanks for reading.
First understand that there is a limit to what you can do not as a mental health professional. Also understand that they might actually be fine.

But if you are unsure how they are doing, maybe provide them with some mental health resources. Does your employer provide an Employee Assistance Program? Do they offer counseling? Also consider checking out the Code Green Campaign for more resources.

WolfmanHarris

Forum Asst. Chief
Also consider that a week is still a very short period of time to process a difficult experience, unless you're seeing some significant red flags just be supportive and give it time.

SeeNoMore

Old and Crappy
I would suggest just keeping in touch and making sure they know you are available to chat if need be.

Generally speaking , most first responders I know do not continue to experience nightmares or other issues from routine emergency care. I am not saying it is bad or that one should be ashamed. But perhaps if this continues to be an issue some type of professional help is warranted?

I can say without any type of bravado that I am not bothered or affected by the vast majority of the calls I go on. It's routine at this point. I am sure most would agree that work in busy systems or have done the job for a number of years.

Best of luck, stay in touch with the community here! : )