How to find out more about your company

RookieRescue

Forum Ride Along
hello interested in looking for more info on LaCo related ambulance companies, anyone know how i can get this info? i went on to laco dhs website but they only give names of licensed ambulances, like how can i know said company is approved to run CCT units persay, or has a back up contract with a city fire department? i hear talk of stuff like that but where can i be 100% sure of this information.

Aprz

The New Beach Medic
Call the company or walk in and ask. They will definitely be able to provide that information, and if you are interested, you showed your interest to them making your face more familiar, and you can pick - up an application while you are there.

NPO

Forum Deputy Chief
La county EMS website has a list of all accredited providers and if they operate as BLS ALS CCT or any combination. A non county accredited company may not run ALS or CCT but may operate BLS within city limits where they hold appropriate business tax licenses.

http://ems.dhs.lacounty.gov/policies/Ref400/401-1.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
hello interested in looking for more info on LaCo related ambulance companies, anyone know how i can get this info? i went on to laco dhs website but they only give names of licensed ambulances, like how can i know said company is approved to run CCT units persay, or has a back up contract with a city fire department? i hear talk of stuff like that but where can i be 100% sure of this information.

La county EMS website has a list of all accredited providers and if they operate as BLS ALS CCT or any combination. A non county accredited company may not run ALS or CCT but may operate BLS within city limits where they hold appropriate business tax licenses.

http://ems.dhs.lacounty.gov/policies/Ref400/401-1.pdf

You'll notice the reference 401-1 has check boxes indicating if the company is licensed for BLS, ALS, or CCT respectively. You'll also notice that it will tell you which ones have primary 911 response zones. Despite there being 32 licensed companies on that list, only 6 have 911 response: Schaefer, AMR, Care, McCormick, Gerber, and AmeriCare (they only run 911 in Santa Monica, and since they're a county wide IFT company don't be fooled into thinking you'll get hired on and run with fire, you won't, and will still get paid less than the other 911 services which get paid less than the other IFT services btw) (Gerber, sure our only 911 area is the City of Torrance, but we're also only a small company that pretty much only serves Torrance with a few IFTs on the side, about the complete opposite as AmeriCare lol)

Here's a map from the County EMS website that shows the 911 Ambulance Exclusive Operating Areas (EOAs) for LA County
http://ems.dhs.lacounty.gov/GIS/Maps/Ambulance061907a.pdf
(Note it only shows the EOAs so it doesn't show Gerber in Torrance or AmeriCare in Santa Monica)

Everyone claims to run 911 backup response, heck there's a whole thread on here talking about that alone, but Bowers is the only IFT company I know of that gets called with any sort of regularity, but on the individual EMT level, guys I know who've worked there say you'll be lucky to get one BLS fire call every couple of weeks.

As far as backup for LA City itself as the OP asked about, that's all LA City Fire Department, I've never seen a private ambulance run with them. McCormick does cover City of West Hollywood (which is completely surrounded by LA) and a couple unincorporated LA County enclaves within city limits (Universal City comes to mind) but in those areas they're still running with LA County Fire, not LA City.

So yeah, some mom and pop renal roundup company may say they run backup response in LA City, but the reality is that short of the next 10.0 earthquake, the only time that'll happen is if you happen to witness a car crash in front of you (or go, oh :censored::censored::censored::censored: my nursing home patient needs ALS, and you call 911)

NPO

Forum Deputy Chief
Ive heard its illegal for private companies to pick up 911 in the city. However Bowers was called in to back up city with the Metrolink crash a few years ago. We have pictures of it at the station.

Seen here are two Bowers units and a Pacific unit... Pacific is owned by Bowers and operates in the OC.
daqy6egu.jpg

Ewok Jerky

PA-C
Ive heard its illegal for private companies to pick up 911 in the city. However Bowers was called in to back up city with the Metrolink crash a few years ago. We have pictures of it at the station.

That looks like an MCI situation. All bets are off as far as contracts when the # of patients exceeds the number of available units. When I was in CA we had an incident with 44 Pts and we had all kinds of companies there, some from 2 counties over.