How stupid are nurses?

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
The other way around.

I looked into getting a bridge to EMT-B from RN (say what? Yeah, employers want cheap EMTs instead of nurses, go figure), but none of the local schools would honor my credits and insist upn my taking the whole courses, despite a Calif law stating the WILL (not "can") offer bridging from RN to EMT.

Summit

Critical Crazy
Just for s and giggles I did the math on my education hours the other day.
My google-fu is failing me when I try to find out total clock ours for ADN and BSN, just keep getting the credit hour requirements.

For ****s and grins I decided to do the math on my nursing... and ended up with a larger than expected spreadsheet to get all the numbers below. Now, I'm not including all my other undergraduate (which exceeds my nursing credits including prereqs), my EMS courses, or many hundreds of hours of EMS CEs.

Other caveats: semester credits in science and nursing, like EMS, do not follow the conventional 16 contact hours per credit. The median nursing and science course was 32 hours per credit! I present only my personal educational experience which probably does not represent the average:

PREREQS: ~1500 hours
30 credits of sciences + 36 other credits

NURSING BSN: ~2600 hours
66 credits of nursing including ~1600 hours of clinical.

POST-LICENSURE: ~1600 hours
This is the critical care education and new graduate nurse program through my employer: ~550 classroom hours + ~1050 1:1 precepted hours (not counting about ~2500 additional probationary hours that are independent, but closely supervised)

So, that is 5700 hours of education and clinical before independent critical care nursing practice.