How Stressful Is 911?

Aerin-Sol

Forum Captain
I've worked IFT for a year & I love it. Occasionally we have 911 roll-over calls, and I find them stressful & unpleasant. I panic, get anxious, forget what to do, etc. Luckily I've had great medic partners who have no problems bossing me around & I retain motor memory, but I'd be extremely stressed if I had to run a scene myself. However, I'd like to work for a 911 service, because I think it would help me be a more rounded Basic & decide if I want to go to medic school, as well as increasing my medical knowledge -- but I don't want a job that will make me constantly stressed, nor do I want to be a panic case at every scene I work. Are most people stressed out & unsure when they start working 911? Is it something that fades? I have a very anxious personality & I'm somewhat worried that it's just unsuited for a 911 environment.

firetender

Community Leader Emeritus
The art of doing...

Right now, you're thinking...

...yourself into a ditch.

You're not there yet, so you do what everyone does; prepare, prepare, prepare.

The more full you fill your bag of tricks the less time you'll have to spend THINKING of what to do next; it'll all be about choosing the tools. Once you're on the scene, the name of the game is to be in continual action; and that INCLUDES making connections with your patient.

The anxiety you describe lives in the space-in-between what you have trained yourself to do and not having a clue.

Veneficus

Forum Chief
The more you do 911 the more routine it gets. After a while there is nothing exciting about it, much less stressful.

rhan101277

Forum Deputy Chief
The more you do 911 the more routine it gets. After a while there is nothing exciting about it, much less stressful.

Yeah until you get a call that is not "routine". Or someone is deteriorating in front of you and everything you are trying does not work.

Veneficus

Forum Chief
Yeah until you get a call that is not "routine". Or someone is deteriorating in front of you and everything you are trying does not work.

That happens everyday, it is neither stressful for exciting.

Sometimes interesting or challenging, but that's as far as it goes.

abckidsmom

Dances with Patients
That happens everyday, it is neither stressful for exciting.

Sometimes interesting or challenging, but that's as far as it goes.

I read similar words in the other thread from you, and I just figured out the answer to my question over there: lack of self-doubt! Some people come built in with self-doubt, and regardless of the job they're doing at the moment, they wonder if it could be done better. Thus the stress and excitement.

I would agree that 911 scenes lose their stress over time, but I still find myself getting excited on the way to a good call. I settle right down, and get the job done, but I'm just a squirrel deep down inside. Heck, I just had a dream about a structure fire, and it was not a nightmare. :)

Medic2409

Forum Lieutenant
IMHO the stress isn't so much about the calls.

We are not robots, and very few people are not affected by something at some time, I'm sure just about everyone has a story about "that call" that just about did them in.

As for me, yep, I've had a couple of those calls, but that's just part of the job, overall the stress didn't have much to do with the calls at all.

Veneficus

Forum Chief
I read similar words in the other thread from you, and I just figured out the answer to my question over there: lack of self-doubt!

I don't know if I would call it that. Perhaps lack of fear of the unknown.

I accept there are some things I can influence and some things I can't. I think more than accept it, I am ok with it.

There was a time when it wasn't like that, but over time it has faded. I wouldn't trade it for the world, but I have found often my expectations were way off.

Calls were either more than I could imagine or decided less so. The same with patients. It is more of a feeling of zen.

Last edited by a moderator:

BandageBrigade

Forum Lieutenant
It will quickly lose its stress or 'excitement'. There will come a point when the 'major' calls are no longer major. You will learn that you will do the best your experiance, knowledge, and education allow you to.

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
I find 911 calls pretty relaxing, actually. While occasionally you find a patient that's really horrifically sick or something, most are pretty straight-forward and uncomplicated. Chances are you're over-thinking things. 911 calls kind of have their own rhythm. Once you find it, they just kind of flow...

ZombieEMT

Chief Medical Zombie
Premium Member
I volunteer with a 911 service and I would have to agree with everyone else. At first it might be stressful, and I think it is because you are still not very sure what to do, but then when you get the experience it comes natural. I used to think about one call all day and I just check those feelings at the ER doors. You get used to the 911, you meet really great people as patients and other crew, and I have learned to love what I do. I am grateful to have found my calling and when it does get stressful, knowing that I helped one person, even if only by listening, it makes it all worth it.

johnrsemt

Forum Deputy Chief
Something to think about and to practice for the 911 calls to make them less stressful:

On you IFT patients: treat and evaluate them all the same way: ABC's, then head to toe exams.

If you are taking a patient to the Doctor, or to Dialysis; make sure they are breathing, and they have circulation: (the ABC's). Then do a head to toe exam; even if you don't put hands on the patient for all parts of the exam. At least document it.

On 911 runs you do the same thing: ABC's and head to toe. Even on a basic trauma; say a sprained wrist: ABC; and a quick head to toe after you immobilize the wrist. keeps from getting bit by a missed injury due to the pain the patient has in the wrist. I missed a lac on the lower leg that took 40 sutures, because I never checked; patient said she had no pain anywhere except her wrist until the nurse found it in the ED, just by running her hand down both legs.

Also document all patients the same way.

Death_By_Sexy

Forum Crew Member
I agree with what was said about a rhythm. After a while you fall into place, especially if you have a good partner. A lot of stuff won't need to be said as much, you'll fall into routine quickly.

Hell, I stopped being excited driving code-3 a long time ago, and I've only been doing this for 2 years.

JPINFV

Gadfly
Well.. granted the worst smelling patient I've ever transported was the one who had a rectal tube in place, but there's not much that can be done in that case.

OP
OP
A

Aerin-Sol

Forum Captain
What is 911 but IFT with lights and sirens?

Well, I've been doing IFT for a year and I have yet to provide any treatment other than O2 on the calls. Also 911 patients don't come with interesting discharge summaries to read. =)

Thanks to everyone for your comments -- I think I'll apply to the 911 service in Indy.

Hockey

Quackers
Step back from what you're doing, take a deep breath and go to your happy place momentarily

tumblr_kpp4cbeY871qziyd9o1_500.png

It works trust me