How often do you workout?

Jack Swagger

Forum Probie
I got the 24 Hour Fitness pass from Costco. You have to commit to going to the gym for two years but if you were to pay monthly its about $14 a month. Last I checked LA Fitness and 24's lowest single club plan was $25 a month. Plus you can work out at any Active or Sport club in the US and most of them are open 24 hours a day.

Have to commit for two years?! Health and fitness is a lifelong commitment.

joeboo

Forum Probie
On slow days there is a parking structure we post at where there is a place for pull ups and 3 stories of stairs to run up and down. Also do some push ups and mountain climbers on a curb

For the icing on the cake, if you are up for it, have your partner put your ambulance in neutral and push it around a parking lot while he directs it. You REALLY gotta push just to get it started. It's pretty hard and it looks silly, but who cares? You will get results.

Getting sweaty for calls? yes indeed, but here in Texas we are sweating 6 months out of the year anyway....might as well use the time!

As far as nutrition, it's hard on the ambulance to eat good, but bringing food and making sure you eat something small every couple of hours helps keep the cravings for Big Macs away

mcdonl

Forum Captain
3 Days a week I do 45 minutes of cardio (130-150 heart rate) then some mixed P90X or Instanity routines for another 30 minutes.

One weekend day I do a full P90X or Instanity workout.

Obstructions

Forum Crew Member
I do about 35 min of HITT cardio Tue, Thur, Sat and then I do P90X Shoulders & Arms, Chest and Back, Shoulders/Chest/Triceps on Mon, Fri, Sun.

Wednesdays are my off days. :)

Sawcats

Forum Ride Along
my workout is composed of a strict regimen of intense jaw thrusts, eyebrow presses, and lateral nose raise

dlodest

Forum Probie
Gotta stay fit in our field. I recommend HIIT programs, awesome high intensity stuff that gets you in and out of the gym fast, but still effective workouts.

Medicine

Forum Ride Along
Reply.

I don really work out because I don keep well as am nearing 50. I workout though doing only simple floor exercises daily.

Highlander

Forum Crew Member
I try to work out 4 times a week and the night before I sleep. The FD near me instituted something called the incentive program, which is basically you work out 15-30 mins each shift and you get a bonus each month. Wish I had this

PlatapusSupper

Forum Ride Along
I workout before or after every shift, or at least I try to. Find it's the easiest way to get rid of stress and allow myself to get the best sleep

FuManChu

Forum Crew Member
I used to work out 3 to 4 times a week for at least an hour each time. However I just started my first job as EMT, and for the past two weeks I have been having a hard time getting myself to workout :sad:

I supposed I just need to get into the routine again, especially with this new job, everything has been thrown off, but I got to say it feels bad not working out.

Tiger09

Forum Probie
I usually try to work out after my shifts and rest on days before a shift, that way I'm not too tired at work.

adrenalin

Forum Probie
I usually work out 3 times a week at the gym and the days I don't, I hike. As far as nutrition goes.....I don't eat that healthy (shame on me)

CritterNurse

Forum Captain
I know I should spend more time working out, but I can't seem to stick with a routine that starts to feel like a chore. I've found some fun activities, so I do get a workout once a week at fencing practice. On the weekends I sometimes end up tromping through the woods looking for crossbow bolts if I miss the targets at archery practice. Once a month there is a dance practice I go to that also gets me to break a sweat. I work full time, with a 75 minute commute each way, so I just don't feel like I have much time.

agah

Forum Crew Member
I lift heavy weights three times per week. Mostly compound movements and few isolation lifts in between. Cardio about 1-2 times per week.

CentralCalEMT

Forum Captain
I hit the gym 4-5 days a week. I work a modified Kelly Schedule which works out to 10 days a month and I work a couple days a month at my part time job, which leaves me adequate time to hit the gym.

I feel fitness and taking care of one's self is something that many EMS providers are not good at, which is ironic seeing as we see firsthand, the consequences of an unhealthy lifestyle on a daily basis. When I was an EMT, at my last physical right before paramedic school, I was 45 pounds overweight with stage one hypertension. The doctor told me I could lose weight or be on blood pressure medication at 26. At that time, I hated the gym as much as anyone. However, by getting into a routine, I have lost 45 points and my BP is back a normal range. I also find it helps me talk to patients about taking care of themselves. I felt like a hypocrite when I would tell them to take care of themselves when I did not do the same for myself.