How often do you workout?

Porta

Forum Lieutenant
I'm a gym rat, when I was working (on call, 24 on 24 off, 5 off) I was able to be in the gym as much as I needed to be for training. Now that I'm looking at different employment and a totally new sched, I'm interested to see how often other emts workout.
How well do you feel like you balance work and gym? How well do you do w your nutrition?
Thanks!

Achilles

Forum Moron
I'm a gym rat, when I was working (on call, 24 on 24 off, 5 off) I was able to be in the gym as much as I needed to be for training. Now that I'm looking at different employment and a totally new sched, I'm interested to see how often other emts workout.
How well do you feel like you balance work and gym? How well do you do w your nutrition?
Thanks!

I use to workout a lot. I like to run, backpack and mt bike in the summer and my winter workout consists of lifting a snowblower in and out of a truck and some shoveling. Used to belong to a gym, went two or three times for the one month I was signed up.

Chief Complaint

Forum Captain
Thanks!

I work out intensely 4 or 5 days/week.

My work schedule is a 24/48 so it's no trouble finding the time to work out. However, I don't get nearly as much sleep as I would like/need to get the most benefit from my workouts. At work, it's a gamble how much shut eye I will get, and its in a crappy bed in a room full of snoring co-workers so I doubt it's quality sleep anyway.

No issues with nutrition either. I pack most of my meals so I don't have to eat the crap that others at work would prefer.

lightsandsirens5

Forum Deputy Chief
I work out intensely 4 or 5 days/week.

My work schedule is a 24/48 so it's no trouble finding the time to work out. However, I don't get nearly as much sleep as I would like/need to get the most benefit from my workouts. At work, it's a gamble how much shut eye I will get, and its in a crappy bed in a room full of snoring co-workers so I doubt it's quality sleep anyway.

No issues with nutrition either. I pack most of my meals so I don't have to eat the crap that others at work would prefer.

About the same here.

I usually try to do some jogging and heavy working out the day after I get off. Then the day before I work again, I like to put in a longer run. Usually around 3-4 miles. Once a week or so I try to hit 6 miles. And often I swim instead of running.

On days I work, if it isn't too busy, I try to do many small sets of body weight stuff. Pushups, situps, etc. Small enough sets I don't get sweaty and all, but enough sets through the day it is actually worth it.

medic8ed

Forum Ride Along
if your anything like me, working crazy hours, married with kids,
and wanting to maintain some sort of sanity :) enorphins are
helpful in many ways so I do what's got to be done.

I workout a minimum of 5 days a week usually I shoot for six but
down time for recovery is necessary. If I have to, I drag myself
out of bed an hour and a half earlier than work and get moving.
if planned correctly you can have an effective workout in just 30
minutes. thiugh I tend to do at least 60. I always be sure to
make time.

mct601

RN/NRP
I know this is an old(ish) thread, but do it as much as your body can take it. I work 48 on, 48 off, 72 on and then the opposite the following week. I am in the gym doing something everyday I am off. Still tailoring my gym schedule to this ridiculous amount of work hours, but I am doing pretty well. My best fat loss and gains are taking place with less time to workout than when I was on a 24/48.

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
once a week if I'm lucky. diet and nutrition is crap, due to working the night shift full time.

Can't excercise at work, we either don't have the facilities or are too busy. can't excercise before work or else I end up exhausted during my 2 hour shift. or if i work a day shift, the gym isn't open at 3 or 4 am.

once the weather gets warmer, i will probably go back to running 1-2 times a week, and hitting the gym 2 times a week if time permits.

mct601

RN/NRP
Get a new 24hr gym if you can. Don't exhaust yourself before your shift, do some body weight exercises or run (or both). Get your metabolism in gear for your shift. Once our weather quits its hormonal rages (one second its severe weather, next its freezing. gotta love south MS). Just don't push it too hard. Save that for your days off.

OP
OP
Porta

Porta

Forum Lieutenant
Get a new 24hr gym if you can. Don't exhaust yourself before your shift, do some body weight exercises or run (or both). Get your metabolism in gear for your shift. Once our weather quits its hormonal rages (one second its severe weather, next its freezing. gotta love south MS). Just don't push it too hard. Save that for your days off.

Thanks for the advice!

ExpatMedic0

MS, NRP
I try to drag myself in there 2-3 times a week. I hate working out at the gym, I am not afraid to admit it. I just force myself to when I can. I try to make up for the lack of gym by cycling everywhere instead of using a car or the bus.

firecoins

IFT Puppet
I just started crossfit. I have 80lbs to lose. I will be working out 3x at crossfit and 3x on my own.

BigPoppaBlueDevil

Forum Ride Along
I've been doing crossfit for almost two years now and LOVE it. Definitely helps with being able to lift our more portly patients. So most of them.

firecoins

IFT Puppet
How do you like it so far?

It's good and very challenging. I can't do many of the exercises so we find substitutes.

dhump4free

Forum Crew Member
I got the 24 Hour Fitness pass from Costco. You have to commit to going to the gym for two years but if you were to pay monthly its about $14 a month. Last I checked LA Fitness and 24's lowest single club plan was $25 a month. Plus you can work out at any Active or Sport club in the US and most of them are open 24 hours a day.

AzValley

Forum Lieutenant
Play hockey one or two nights and week and try to hike one or two days a week, I stay away from the gym as much as possible.