How long were you an EMT-B?

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
Hey!

I'm wondering how long you worked as an EMT-B before becoming a Medic. Do you feel this experience was helpful or necessary to becoming a good Medic?

lastcode

Forum Crew Member
I started in EMS when I was 17, and got my EMT-B at 18. I have had it 2 years now. Im starting paramedic school this summer. I think it will have advantages and disadvantages. I think that over the years I have picked up some "non-protocall" habits from my fellow EMTs that I will have to unlearn. But I also think being able to see how different skills we are being taught will be helpfull due to previous calls I have been on will be good.

OP
OP
MMiz

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
Originally posted by lastcode@Feb 18 2004, 11:30 AM
I started in EMS when I was 17, and got my EMT-B at 18. I have had it 2 years now. Im starting paramedic school this summer. I think it will have advantages and disadvantages. I think that over the years I have picked up some "non-protocall" habits from my fellow EMTs that I will have to unlearn. But I also think being able to see how different skills we are being taught will be helpfull due to previous calls I have been on will be good.
Sorry about the late reply on this one, I must have missed it. How did you get into EMS at age 17? Here in Michigan most EMT programs require the person to be 18 before entering.

Also, it seems like a common theme that many EMTs are first EMT-Basics for a year or two before going on to the EMT-Paramedic level.

As I'm working as an EMT-B for the first time since getting my license two years ago, I'm glad I took the time to experience the field before I actually went back for the medic class. As an EMT-B student during clinicals I was able to ride around with little responsibility. As I spent three hours doing paperwork on the rig last weekend, I realized that there is a bit more to EMS than just the physical act.

Good luck on your medic program, and I hope you come back to update us on your progress and feelings on the program in general.

lastcode

Forum Crew Member
Thanks for wishing me luck :D In NY state you can enter EMT class at 17 as long as your are 18 at graduation. I was able to ride before getting my EMT since I had my CPR card and was not directly in charge of the patient.

AngryGeek

Forum Ride Along
Since I am part of a volunteer department, I was able to start going on runs as soon as I joined. I had been on about 45 runs before I entered the first available basic class. I was able to continue running all during class too.

Joining department to becoming NREMT-B: 9 Months
Becoming NREMT-B to starting paramedic classes: 2 Months

One benefit of not waiting was getting all the testing done while everything is still fresh: class final, Registry test, region protocol test, paramedic entrance test.

SafetyPro2

Forum Safety Officer
Many of the programs out here require a minimum of 6 months experience as an EMT prior to starting the Paramedic program.

ResTech

Forum Asst. Chief
I became an EMT when I was 16 (Pennsylvania) but did'nt really practice as an EMS provider much until I turned 18 and joined my local ambulance squad. My FD at the time was not an an EMS provider service. Since I turned 18, I have worked as a career EMS provider (past 8 yrs) for 911 services and feel this experience has been paramount to my success thus far in the paramedic program.

I know alot of fellow students in my program are not real experienced and have a very limited knowledge base as a BLS provider and is making it that much harder to learn the ALS stuff. For my paramedic program the only entry requirements are those set by the college which are just standard requirements for all college programs. I don't agree with it but thatz the way it is. When I first started we had a "kid" in my program that was only 17 and had no EMS experience whatsoever. He has since failed out.

But I definitely think that you need to be a good BLS provider before even considering becoming an ALS provider. Because ALS really builds on all that BLS stuff. And just alittle advice.... read, read, read, and read more. Read every EMS magazine you get your hands on... EMS magazine, JEM's, etc. I've always been a strong reader over the years as an EMT-B and the knowledge I attained has proven to be invaluable at this stage. Even stuff that is ALS... read it. You'll come to understand it and will stay with you for years to come.

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
6 months as EMT-B then 2 1/2 years as EMT-I then 6 months as EMT-B, now taking class for EMT-I (again)

medic1emt

Forum Ride Along
i have been a EMT-b for over 13 years now and thinking of going back to medic school. this should prove to be interesting. recent changes have plagued our ems schooling in bama. they now require you to have english , math, and anatomy, prior to entering medic school.

rescuecpt

Community Leader Emeritus
I was an EMT-B in New York for 3 years before I became an EMT-CC (critical care).

There is a medic in my department who jumped into school 3 months after getting his EMT-Basic. He is a crappy Medic and an even crappier EMT. He never had time to experience all of the funny little things that happen out there and he never had time to REALLY learn his BLS - and it's ALWAYS BLS BEFORE ALS!!!

When all else fails, or you don't have the right equipment, you need to know how to revert to basic barebones lifesaving maneuvers.

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Originally posted by rescuelt@Jun 24 2004, 10:20 AM
When all else fails, or you don't have the right equipment, you need to know how to revert to basic barebones lifesaving maneuvers.
Amen to that.

ECC

Forum Captain
1 year before going to AEMT (EMT-I), and 5 more years before going to Paramedic.

You had to work on the job for 2 years before going to Medic school, I think that was a good rule. You must master BLS before you will ever really understand ALS.

Rescuecpt is right...BLS before ALS.

TTLWHKR

Forum Deputy Chief
Had standard and advanced first aid courses as early as 10. I began the EMT class when I was 15, finished when I was 16. Graduated community college when I was 21, major in EMS Tech, minor American History... B/c of a nasty ride along call w/ guns, and a crew that didn't "stage out" when ordered to, forcing me onto a very unsafe scene. I refused to ride w/ this particular crew b/c they were idiots. They wouldn't assign me to another station. So I graduated, but didn't get my EMT-P certs. I'll take an out of college Paramedic course in a couple years, I'm thinking about relocating to Montana. I was born there, so I'd like to settle there again.

ECC

Forum Captain
Montana is beautiful!

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Originally posted by TTLWHKR@May 24 2005, 06:42 PM
Had standard and advanced first aid courses as early as 10. I began the EMT class when I was 15, finished when I was 16. Graduated community college when I was 21, major in EMS Tech, minor American History... B/c of a nasty ride along call w/ guns, and a crew that didn't "stage out" when ordered to, forcing me onto a very unsafe scene. I refused to ride w/ this particular crew b/c they were idiots. They wouldn't assign me to another station. So I graduated, but didn't get my EMT-P certs. I'll take an out of college Paramedic course in a couple years, I'm thinking about relocating to Montana. I was born there, so I'd like to settle there again.
Not quite the same, close.

8y/o-14y/o - Mom involved in Fire Co Auxiluary, dragged along to meetings, etc.
14y/o-16y/o - Explorer With Fire Co. finialy Did things I'd done for years officially.
16y/o+, Fire Co and Amb. "Club" Member.
Started EMT at 15, Medic school at 18.
EMT at 16.
Turn 20 in 2 weeks.
Start Ride time for Medic Thursday.

Jon

medic 4-2

Forum Probie
i have just got my emt-b cert 6 months ago. i am looking in to a paid career. should i wait or go for my medic

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief
15-17 y/o- First Responder cert'ed
17-18 y/o- Basic EMT
18- Present - Intermediate EMT
20- Present - Respiratory therapist/Echocardiographer (currently studying for my cath lab tech exams (RCIS))

DT4EMS

Kip Teitsort, Founder
2 years as an EMT before becoming a medic. I think everyone should have a least a year (working as an EMT) prior to becoming a medic. It is hard enough to do patient care while you are still learning without having to try and figure out the "Team Leader" position as well.

rescuecpt

Community Leader Emeritus
Oddly enough, one of the medic programs around here (there are a few, but there are two that are the best) wants people pretty much straight out of their basic class. The instructor likes having green EMTs that he can mold his way.