how long must I wait???

helperofmankind

Forum Probie
Seriously, does anyone know what number the FDNY is up to with calling in people to take their physicals and psyc evals. Im sitting here waiting for ten months and not so much as a phone call. I got a post card in the mail back in April saying I passed the civil service exam, but Im number 1176/1437. Are these inconciderate morons playing games or what?:angry::deadhorse:<_<

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
I don't know how different FDNY is to our civil service (another top10 city), but at that number, you would not be called here.

I'm sure someone like NY will be able to offer a better guess, though.

Aidey

Community Leader Emeritus
When you posted on this exact same topic a couple of weeks ago people told you that waits of a year to a year and a half were not unusual and that they had only recently started calling people in the top 100.

shfd739

Forum Deputy Chief
You are pretty much at the bottom. Dont pin your hopes on FDNY..Hopefully you have a backup plan to fall back on for the next 1-2 years.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
Seriously, does anyone know what number the FDNY is up to with calling in people to take their physicals and psyc evals. Im sitting here waiting for ten months and not so much as a phone call. I got a post card in the mail back in April saying I passed the civil service exam, but Im number 1176/1437. Are these inconciderate morons playing games or what?:angry::deadhorse:<_<

My partner is in the midst of the police hiring process for another large city. He has a middle type number, it took him over a year to get called. Your number might never get called, then what?

Veneficus

Forum Chief
My partner is in the midst of the police hiring process for another large city. He has a middle type number, it took him over a year to get called. Your number might never get called, then what?

Would that then mean your number is up? :)

Everyone here is very wise, people don't always get a call back. I have applied for jobs I never got a callback from.

I have even taken civil service tests where I scored top in the test but due to others getting bonus points for things like legacy, residency, etc, I still never got called back.

You live in an economy where there are more applicants than jobs. Municiple public safety (fire, police, EMS) has always been extremely competative.

With the numbers you posted, I would start moving on. The last fire test I took (more than 10 years ago) I was in the 300s, out of thousands. Not only did I not get called back to take the physical despite a top score on the written, I didn't even get an automatic rejection letter.

The people at the testing center told me when I presented my ID, that if I didn't live in the city, I didn't have a chance because residents got a 20% bonus on their score.

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
One more thing. I'd be cautious of stating your exact candidate number like that, and then proceeding to call them "inconsiderate morons". This is a public site, and that number is directly tied to your name.

Veneficus

Forum Chief
One more thing. I'd be cautious of stating your exact candidate number like that, and then proceeding to call them "inconsiderate morons". This is a public site, and that number is directly tied to your name.

good advice, but with a score so far down the list, I doubt anyone would bother to look at his name, much less look up who he was.

(unless of course they plan to hire 500 or so people)

NYMedic828

Forum Deputy Chief
Ugh how many times do I have to answer this question.

ONE LAST TIME.

First off, you need to mature as far as your attitude goes. Everything with NYC, or any municipal/civil agency for that matter is always slow. They still do things by paper mail... Patience is a must with these things. It may happen, it may never happen.

I have been waiting 3+ years to be promoted to firefighter now. How do you think myself and others in my position, who have waited even longer, feel?

That said, 1176/1437 is the latter 1/3 of the list... you have 1175 people ahead of you who may or may not actually want the job. I know plenty of people who apply just for the heck of it. But regardless, they will all get processed in order.

They do physical agility testing on the weekends at the academy, a relatively small place that maybe accommodates 30-60 candidates per weekend. Considering they only started doing them a month or so ago, you are looking at upwards of 4 months or more to get yours done. (assuming everything does in fact go perfectly in order)

Back when I was hired only 3 years ago, the economy was not AS bad. The $34,000 (EMT)/$44,000 (medic) per year wasn't very desirable. BUT, when things get tough, and you have NO job, a very stable job with unbeatable benefits looks pretty damn good...

Final piece of advice, AGAIN, is take a damn medic program. They start up every few months. Rather than sitting on your behind, make yourself more marketable and desirable. The hiring process as a medic is 4x faster than EMT. They want medics more than they want EMTs.

And, you can still be hired as an EMT and be promoted to paramedic as soon as a paramedic academy starts. So by completing your paramedic, you can actually place yourself on TWO hiring lists. Double the odds never hurt anyone.

Veneficus

Forum Chief
Ugh how many times do I have to answer this question.

ONE LAST TIME.

First off, you need to mature as far as your attitude goes. Everything with NYC, or any municipal/civil agency for that matter is always slow. They still do things by paper mail... Patience is a must with these things. It may happen, it may never happen.

I have been waiting 3+ years to be promoted to firefighter now. How do you think myself and others in my position, who have waited even longer, feel?

That said, 1176/1437 is the latter 1/3 of the list... you have 1175 people ahead of you who may or may not actually want the job. I know plenty of people who apply just for the heck of it. But regardless, they will all get processed in order.

They do physical agility testing on the weekends at the academy, a relatively small place that maybe accommodates 30-60 candidates per weekend. Considering they only started doing them a month or so ago, you are looking at upwards of 4 months or more to get yours done. (assuming everything does in fact go perfectly in order)

Back when I was hired only 3 years ago, the economy was not AS bad. The $34,000 (EMT)/$44,000 (medic) per year wasn't very desirable. BUT, when things get tough, and you have NO job, a very stable job with unbeatable benefits looks pretty damn good...

Final piece of advice, AGAIN, is take a damn medic program. They start up every few months. Rather than sitting on your behind, make yourself more marketable and desirable. The hiring process as a medic is 4x faster than EMT. They want medics more than they want EMTs.

And, you can still be hired as an EMT and be promoted to paramedic as soon as a paramedic academy starts. So by completing your paramedic, you can actually place yourself on TWO hiring lists. Double the odds never hurt anyone.

I like the way you think

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
Would that then mean your number is up? :)

Everyone here is very wise, people don't always get a call back. I have applied for jobs I never got a callback from.

I have even taken civil service tests where I scored top in the test but due to others getting bonus points for things like legacy, residency, etc, I still never got called back.

You live in an economy where there are more applicants than jobs. Municiple public safety (fire, police, EMS) has always been extremely competative.

With the numbers you posted, I would start moving on. The last fire test I took (more than 10 years ago) I was in the 300s, out of thousands. Not only did I not get called back to take the physical despite a top score on the written, I didn't even get an automatic rejection letter.

The people at the testing center told me when I presented my ID, that if I didn't live in the city, I didn't have a chance because residents got a 20% bonus on their score.

Nah, I have no interest in continuing to work in Massachusetts post-graduation. I'm going to try and work for a more type rural service in Colorado where civil service is much less common.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
I would.say something rude to your unnecessary comment about my attitude. But to comment on that would be both redundant and a waist of time to someone whom I don't know and who doesn't know me. So with that said... God Bless You!... ps. Please dont write on any of my posts again.

Wait you certainly were not the person referring to the organization that might hire you as "inconsiderate morons," right? Oh wait...

If you want to get hired for any EMS job, much less one that includes panel interviews, psych evals, character tests, and the whole other additional nine yards, you might want to consider how you are perceived by strangers.

leoemt

Forum Captain
U dont have to answer ANYTHING!! If u cant be nice or respectful, STAY OFF OF MY POSTS!!

I am an ex-cop and have been through the civil service testing process. The first thing you need to learn is attitude is everything. Civil service positions don't want knowledge - they will give you the knowledge - they want mature, respectful people that will make the city, department, and job look good. The citizens are who you are there to serve, an immature worker has no place in FDNY or any other city. When I used to sit on oral boards I had one job and that was to evaluate the canidates' attitudes.

I recently joined this forum but I have been lurking here for months. I can tell you from what I have seen the knowledge of some of these people on here is immense. It is clear to me they have tried to offer you advice, whether you chose not to hear it or you just don't want to believe it is up to you. There is no reason to keep posting the same question, the answers wont change.

Fire/EMS/Police workers are known for pulling pranks and being hard on eachother. If you can't handle the little bit of "harda$$ness" on this forum how do you think you will handle it on the job, especially in a department like FDNY?

It is clear that you don't have the maturity level yet for this job. No harm in admitting that either. My advice is take your time and do some growing up, maybe work on a private for awhile. Take the advice of others on this board, most of them have been there and they will help you out.

NYMedic828

Forum Deputy Chief
Listen, I don't know if you are referring to my post or someone else but you need to change your attitude especially if you intend on a career in EMS/FDNY.

You need to understand that this is a mature job. You may often be the one telling someone their loved one is dead or showing up in court for a homicide. You need to be the calm collected one in this field. Even when you can't render aid, you can be the one to help diffuse a situation. You need to act in an appropriate manor.

My assumption is you are a younger guy, probably sub-20. I'm not mUch older at 23 and to an extent I was like you. You are ambitious, that's good. It will get you places but only if you combine your ambition with patience.

Working for FDNY-EMS is no picnic. However strict it may or may not be it is still a paramilitary organization. You need to be able to take criticism with a grain of salt. Keeping your ears open and your mouth shut is what helps you succeed here.

No one is on this forum to be rude to you. We are here to provide one another with knowledge and share experiences. Sometimes the truth hurts but that doesn't change the fact that it is the truth. Take the hits, wipe it off your shoulder, learn from it and move on.

Last edited by a moderator: