how far would you drive

Devilz311

Forum Crew Member
I rotate between 2 stations, one is 45 miles and the other is 41 miles from my doorstep. The ride to both takes around 45 minutes. I'm moving closer this fall, and will onle be about 10 minutes from one, and 5-10 from the other.

I actually like the ride home, as I can unwind with the 40 miles of highway. It's even better when I can take my bike. I really am looking foward to the extra 40 minutes of sleep I'll be able to get in the mornings though. It will also be a lot easier to pick up extra shifts and do 18's once in a while.

Minerva

Forum Probie
I drive about 65 miles from San Bernardino to Los Angeles and back about 4 days a week. It's not by choice either. The drive home after 5pm on the 210 East is monumentally harrowing, I get home usually before 8pm.

Exactly why it would depend on where I was going and the pay. When I was desperate for a job, I took an offer from Care which would have been a 75 mile one way trip, either down the 15, 57 or 91. Being stuck in the traffic those routes can offer would have possibly made me rip my face off. Luckily, my local AMR called with an offer the following day. 5 mile one way trip :)

If the pay was baller I'd go the distance for a 24 hour shift. Otherwise, with gas prices it becomes pointless. Commutes get old, fast.

DarkStarr

Forum Lieutenant
5 miles to my primary job, 16 miles to my secondary.

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
My FT job is about 20mi one way for a 24hr shift. My PT job ranges from 0.5mi to 7mi, depending on the station, for a 24hr shift.

I'd be willing to drive 60-70mi one way for a good paying 24hr shift.

exodus

Forum Deputy Chief
43 miles now one way. My previous job was 81 miles one way, both full time on 12's.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
20 to 40 minute drive for the ambulance job, depends on traffic. Really not that bad, though two drives in rush hour traffic for an 8 is not my favorite.

Sports medicine job is either a 10 minute job or a minutes walk.