How far do you drive?

OP
OP
B

BNB

Forum Probie
I'm now 15 min from my station and 20 from the office, which is the closest I've ever lived to work.

It's IFT, but I haven't really found it to be significantly different than working 911.

who ya working for out there?

DV_EMT

Forum Asst. Chief
70-80 miles... Roughly 1-2 hours depending on traffic for a 24 hour shift x3 a week

Aprz

The New Beach Medic
According to MapQuest, I live 14 miles away from the station I work at. The furthest station I've driven to is 37 miles away from where I live.

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
Shortest, 3 minutes. Longest is about 20-25 minutes. I couldn't imagine driving more than an hour to work! (That wasn't caused by traffic at least)

Medic Tim

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
i am a 3 min drive to my primary base and 15-20 from the outer bases. I drove an hour each way when going to medic school for class, clinical and preceptorship.

WolfmanHarris

Forum Asst. Chief
My station is 104 km and an hour and twenty minute drive for a twelve hour.

Closest station is 55 minutes and once they extend Highway 407 I should be able to make some of our southern station in 45. If I want to switch districts/platoons.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
11 miles each way, takes 20-45 minutes depending on the time of day.

Outbac1

Forum Asst. Chief
First job was 165km (100mi) one way for a 24hr shift. We did two shifts a week. It was a full time job with vacation, benifits etc. so I didn't say no. About two years later, (1yr 10mo 7days, not that I was counting), I was able to transfer to a larger base 7km from home. I know many people who regularly travel 1 - 2 hrs from home for work. Some full time, some casual, 12 or 24 hr shifts.

BloggerMedic51

Forum Ride Along
I drive 20 minutes to my full time job and 45 to my part time job. Side note: It's pretty damned sad that most of us need two jobs in the first place (but that's a whole other rant...)

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
it would be 100 miles one way....as Linuss knows, the ems providers in north texas are very limited to 911 as most do IFT, which i refuse to go back to doing full time. Currently the 3 big providers arent doing much hiring (per website, but employees say otherwise) so i have to branch out further. I drive a newer fuel effecient car, so gas im not too worried about.

Where in Texas are you looking? I'm about to be making the same search.

Fish

Forum Deputy Chief
so i am contemplating a new ems position at a rural 911 service. it would be 24/48. it is a "straight shot" should i say down the highway about 100miles. How far do you guys commute?

Is the Money and EMS service worth the drive?

Fish

Forum Deputy Chief
Stones throw to the two closest stations, 25mins to the farthest.

scoot

Forum Ride Along
Is it really that hard to find a job in North Texas right now? I've got to say, the idea of having to commute so far once I finish my EMT-B class in April is kind of scaring me. I'm more than ready to be done with my current career.

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
My office is 5 miles from my house, but I have a company vehicle that I take home so it doesn't matter to me. My service area covers roughly 4,000 sq. miles but I don't know if you want to call that a commute.

MissK

Forum Crew Member
I drive 50 minutes to work, but it's for 48 and 72 hour shifts, so it isn't that bad.

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
Is it really that hard to find a job in North Texas right now? I've got to say, the idea of having to commute so far once I finish my EMT-B class in April is kind of scaring me. I'm more than ready to be done with my current career.

For EMTs on DFW where 6 different schools are churning out new EMTs every couple of months? Yes.

adamjh3

Forum Culinary Powerhouse
To my ambulance job I commute just shy of 20 miles. I can do it in under thirty minutes as both my house and the station are close to the highway. My partner drives 90 miles to the same job.

At my stand by job it varies. I've gone from 2 miles to 120 miles. My current contract has me at 50 miles one way. The good thing about this job is I can pick and choose contracts as they open up. So really, I decide my commute.

OP
OP
B

BNB

Forum Probie
The service is a hospital based service and is a good one. Covers alot of SQ miles. Money, don't know about that yet.

As far as finding the Job in north Texas? As Linuss said, yea it's hard. Lots of schools spitting them out right and left. Too many fraudulent small ems providers have screwed it up for the rest of us up here.