Votes: 3 14.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
OP
OP
C

crotchitymedic1986

Forum Crew Member
Since I brought it up, if you have forgotten how to do a dopamine drip calculation, the easiest way to get a dead-accurate calculation is to multiply everything togther and then divide by the concentration:

So if you want to administer 10mcgs to a 100kg pt, and you have an 800mcg concentration:

10 x 100 x 60 / 800 = 75gtts

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
That is great... except for the math-challenged providers.

I can do that - but many of my partners look at me as if I'm crazy when I ask them to double check my numbers. That's why I write everything out when I do drip rates.

traumateam1

Forum Asst. Chief
That is great... except for the math-challenged providers.

I can do that - but many of my partners look at me as if I'm crazy when I ask them to double check my numbers. That's why I write everything out when I do drip rates.

Yup... that'd be me.

OP
OP
C

crotchitymedic1986

Forum Crew Member
I am one of those math challenged people: you can buy a pocket calculator for $1.00 -- if you have a computer/internet on your truck, you have a free calculator.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
I am one of those math challenged people: you can buy a pocket calculator for $1.00 -- if you have a computer/internet on your truck, you have a free calculator.
Right. But that still doesn't let your partner check your numbers.

You started this thread talking about using a pump or dial-a-flow to prevent errors... then you propose a method that makes what you are doing more difficult for you to double-check yourself or to have your partner double-check you - do you want to take a shortcut, or do what is best for your patient?

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
OP
OP
C

crotchitymedic1986

Forum Crew Member
two separate issues Jon.

1. Whether you have a pump or not, you need to be able to calculate the drip rate. And as you mentioned, you then need to double check it. My method does not stop you from looking at your field guide or preprinted dosage chart. If you prefer your partner to doublecheck, they can calculate with their method and you can compare. But my method gives you the exact dosage, not a guestimation.

2. Once you have calculated that drip, it then needs to go on a pump to insure the patient gets that dosage.

Again, there is a reason why hospitals use pumps, and that is a much more controlled environment. If not using a pump was a safe alternative, hospitals wouldnt waste money on the pumps.

remote_medic

Forum Crew Member
wow, go to work for a 24 hour shift and look what happens...

tydek07

Forum Captain
We carry pumps for long-distance transfers... we do not use them for lidocaine or dopamine drips and such for short distance transport to the ER. I see nothing wrong with using you noggin' and getting the correct rate going by drips :D