How do you deal with it?

RanchoEMT

Forum Lieutenant
I transported a girl i went to school with. Her bf tried to kill her when he found out she was pregnant. He succeeded in killing himself, the unborn child and F---ed her up something awful... I didn't "know her" know her, but i knew her name and her face and it hit pretty hard. I tried talking to my girl friend about it and she did her best to emote with me but its obvious when family/friends just can't relate to what your feeling. I find alone time has always been good for me. As long as I don't spend too much time on it.

slb862

Forum Lieutenant
Anytime that you find yourself thinking more about difficult calls, or (any call) is worth talking to someone. Could be anyone, friend, peers, clergy, and maybe a professional. Exercise is the best way to handle stress. Even if it is just going for a walk. I have pets and they sure help me when having a tough time. I also like to call those close to me, (my children) they always bring me back down to reality.

Whatever you do DO NOT hold it in. You do that and you will find yourself burned out really fast. And if anyone tries to tell you different, they are lying to themselves and doing a disservice to others and their patients.