How do you become an EMT-I?

danisonline

Forum Ride Along
This is probably a stupid question, but I don't see it anywhere!

I know there are training classes to become an EMT-B, and I know there are 2 year schools to become a Paramedic, but how does one become an EMT-I?

Is it a different kind of training? Or a promotion type thing? I don't see the answer anywhere. I tried googling it and searching the forum and everything.

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
Go to an EMT I class... Often it's just the first half of paramedic school, though there are I specific classes. Check with your local community college or university.

However, "EMT I" is soon to be no more, will be replaced with EMT Advanced.

Why not just paramedic school, though?

dstevens58

Forum Lieutenant
Check with your state's department of emergency services. There is a big push to align with national standards from EMT-I to Advanced EMT, but state EMT/EMS website/office should be able to direct you to a local training facility.

I don't know what state you're in, so I can't search for you.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
EMT-I is not recognized in most of Western Washington, certainly not in King County. (I know you're looking at North Seattle for the EMT-B class...sorry to say you'll have a hard time finding an EMT-I class anywhere.)

Yakima County did one last year, but there were a lot of questions about what an EMT-I would be allowed to do. It turned out that the Medical Director decided that the EMT-I was not allowed to really do anything, other than assist the medic and maybe start a line every now and then. Most found it to be nothing more than a waste of time. Snohomish County sometimes has I classes in Gold Bar, or they used to … don’t know if that still happens.

PNW EMT

Forum Probie
It is offered occassionally in Snohomish County (Gold Bar) but usually it's an in-house course offered by district 26 for it's personnel and not open to outside providers.