How do I stack up?

omgsam

Forum Ride Along
Hey guys, I'm new here and would like your opinion on how well I stack up to other new EMT-B's looking for work. I passed the NR a few months ago and got my LA county cert. I have a degree in biology and over 1 year experience as a volunteer at a hospital (helping in telemetry, radiology/transport, and ER). It included transporting by stryker beds, gurneys, wheelchairs, and just plain hand holding assisting. I've put on 3 and 12 lead ekgs but have not interpreted them (by law) and reconnected o2 by nasal cannula. I've tried applying for ER tech and transporter jobs at hospitals but never even got called back. I'm now looking at ambulance positions, both 911/IFT, and also six flags magic mountain EMT positions. How much more experience do I need or am I SOL?

socalmedic

Mediocre at best
sounds good to me. apply everywhere, jobs are thin right now. for entry level EMT there are very few qualifications other than a pulse and body temp...

OP
OP
O

omgsam

Forum Ride Along
Actually, I'm pre-PA, just about done with prereqs except for GRE and more healthcare experience.

lightsandsirens5

Forum Deputy Chief
Ever seen Full Metal Jacket? That's what I think of now every time I hear someone ask how they or something/someone stacks up. Lol.

Ok.....I'm sorry, really.

Seriously now though. Looks good to me. Anyone is going to know you at least can apply yourself and you have discipline.

jon51

Forum Crew Member
Where in LA county are you? 911 jobs are hard to come by with companies like Care, McCormick, AMR (santa clarita and antelope valley), and schaefer. Reputable companies such as Bowers and PRN are regularly hiring and they are all over the county. There are many many small companies that will hire you if you are willing to work for some of these places. Check out craigslist.

jon51

Forum Crew Member
Sorry, I just realized you are in the valley. I should have looked before I asked.

jjesusfreak01

Forum Deputy Chief
I've put on 3 and 12 lead ekgs but have not interpreted them (by law) and reconnected o2 by nasal cannula.

Man, I can't imagine the trouble you might get in if you accidentally interpreted a 12 lead...

To answer your question, you will stack up well against NEW emts who have no experience to speak of, and not as well with everyone else. EMS experience is the most important factor for hiring EMTs (if you are looking for an EMS job, IFT companies will hire people without experience). That said, you may primarily be competing against others without experience. Knowing how to attach a 12 lead is cool, but only one of over 100 important skills you will have to use as an EMT.

I'm in the same boat as you, Biology degree, over 1 year of hospital volunteering doing mostly nurse assist skills, and I wasn't able to get a paid 911 job. I'm happily employed as an IFT EMT for the next 7 months, at which point I hope to be in med school, and I volunteer with a 911 rescue squad just to get my kicks.

OP
OP
O

omgsam

Forum Ride Along
Ya it's tough right now. Thanks for the input, I'm going to continue trying for hospital setting positions because that is where I feel most comfortable in. But if I land an IFT spot, I will take it.