How big of a role does your environment play in your growth as a provider?

NYMedic828

Forum Deputy Chief
With the most recent "medics are basically RNs on the road" thread, this thought popped into my head.

How big of a role does your environment ultimately play in your ability to grow and further educate as a provider? Be it an ambulance, an ICU, an IFT or CCT ambulance, hospital, trauma center the list goes on.

Its no secret that we are all influenced by those in closest contact with us. But how does that play out when a new paramedic is partnered with 1 year paramedic? Or a 20 year medic who hasn't touched a book in 20 years. That new medic or EMT depends on their partner and often their partner alone to teach them the ropes.

The way I see it, from an EMS standpoint, we are at a severe disadvantage. If an EMT works with a paramedic, they stand to frequently learn something new and have it explained to them directly (hopefully). A paramedic can turn to his/her partner and co-workers but they may not know (frequently) or may provide false information to protect their so called credibility (aka pride).

Now lets change environments to an ER. Anyone from PCA to MD can immediately consult with their piers to get the answers they seek. A nurse can ask a doctor about a particular case and receive a response in great depth if she seeks it.

Granted, a paramedic or EMT can absolutely consult a doctor on the details of an assignment but it still isn't the same as being there and watching something play out and learning by seeing/doing vs doing and then being told.

I think it ultimately puts us EMS folk in a position that makes it much more difficult to better ourselves without directly seeking out information on a regular basis, outside of the workplace. Furthermore, from my experience, most agencies have minimal contact with their medical directors. This further separates us from a learning environment.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
N

NYMedic828

Forum Deputy Chief
Seems to me like you pretty much answered your own question. And I would agree with your answer.

Well, it was more of my opinion. I was curious other folks views.

crazycajun

Forum Captain
We have an excellent communication system with our med control. He has an open door policy, attends monthly EMS meetings, will answer any question you could possibly have related to the field and allows any of us to utilize clinical rounds to expand our knowledge. We are allowed to voice opinion and make suggestions to new standing orders as well as deviate from existing standing orders so long as we can justify our actions. He commonly does ride alongs to see how we perform in the field as well as give us input on new techniques and technologies available. He gives us more drugs to utilize than you could ever imagine and is a strong advocate for advanced technology on the unit. He will also be the first to tell you that in his opinion we as medics have more authority and an advanced skill set over his nursing staff as they are required an order for each patient and we have standing orders for multiple patients.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
It makes a tremendous difference for me.

I work on a BLS truck. Most of my partners don't really care about going above and beyond the expected knowledge base of an EMT. Some claim that their years of of experience are all they need, and others simply do not know what they are talking about despite their good intentions.

Such an environment is not often conducive to furthering one's education. I do what I can with the internet and this forum, but in the end no one is holding me accountable for my knowledge.

This is in comparison to my sports medicine job, where I have a very involved staff of athletic trainers that want me to improve my knowledge. They hold me accountable for what I learned and ensure that I retain it. They encourage us to seek out more knowledge, and are willing to provide it at every turn.