Hot and cold packs

Aidey

Community Leader Emeritus
My understanding is that a lot of arthritis suffers find heat helps them too.

The other thing I like using heat packs for is keeping babies warm without turning the box into a sauna. If the baby is legitimately sick I like to strip them down to their diaper, especially if it is a respiratory thing. I always cover them back up with a blanket, but I've found that sticking a heat pack in the middle of the blanket folds or on top of the blanket keeps them the right temp.

Underoath87

Forum Asst. Chief
In my experience you are wrong. If I am super sore from the gym heat is the only thing that helps.

That's because DOMS from lifting is not an actual injury. You're just warming up the muscles to get rid of soreness from micro-tears. If you're REALLY sore, it is almost impossible to move until you have warmed up and strecthed out your muscles.

But cold is going to anesthetize an actual injury by reducing inflammation, though it certainly won't improve performace.

Last edited by a moderator:

usalsfyre

You have my stapler
Ice for muscoskeletal injuries, heat exhaustion and ROSC hypothermia. Hot packs for rewarning of hypothermia and keeping trauma patients warm.

It always amazed me the restrictions on active rewarming. You have to get those folks warmed back up, and there's much less chance of overshooting than say, actively cooling heat stroke.

Small rant, we've turned providers into such protocol monkeys they're afraid of providing a commonly accepted and appropriate layperson treatment because it's not specifically mentioned in a set of protocols?!? We're failing miserably folks...

Last edited by a moderator:

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
Small rant, we've turned providers into such protocol monkeys they're afraid of providing a commonly accepted and appropriate layperson treatment because it's not specifically mentioned in a set of protocols?!? We're failing miserably folks...

+ A very large number for that one. No set of protocols can ever cover every scenario. Common sense however, can.