Hospital public safety/security?

griffithsgriffin

Forum Crew Member
Anyone here worked in this sector? I know the position is more in line with law enforcement/security and less ems, but often these positions ask for direct patient care/interaction as experience. Pay seems to be pretty decent as well (loosely speaking). Thanks!!

unleashedfury

Forum Asst. Chief
never did it but my partner did.

He said they preferred EMT's since they have a basis of whats going on with the treatment and can interact with sick and injured patients.

More often than not he babysat people who where mental health, and helped with patients and family who got a little rowdy when things weren't going their way.

wowmulewow

Forum Probie
From my experience, many hospitals don't allow "patient contact" by Security/ Safety personnel. It becomes much more of a liability/insurance issue. The hospitals that I have worked with (I'm in LE and Fire/EMS) usually have their security personnel's hands full with disgruntled patients/ family members, assisting with unruly patients restraints (you're the one the 5'1" nurses look to when you have to restrain a 6'6" intoxicated guy), and assisting LEOs with Involuntary Committed (IVC) patients. Though, an EMT Cert. will make it easier for you to take in your surroundings and realize/react and assist if something may occur. Hope you keep looking into it, and good luck!

CentralCalEMT

Forum Captain
In my area, most hospitals do not have their own in house security. They contract with a local private security company for services. Therefore as they are not employees of the hospital, they are very limited at what they can do. Some hospitals, the security is very hands off. Others, I have seen them go hands on with unruly patients and family members. It depends on the facility.