Horrible first experience as an EMT-B

worstEMTever

Forum Ride Along
So I've had a pretty interesting experience in EMS so far. A pretty terrible one actually. Has anyone else gone through the same thing? If so, I'd like to hear your stories. Hopefully I'm not the only one.

Last edited by a moderator:

Anonymous

Forum Captain
So I've had a pretty interesting experience in EMS so far. A pretty terrible one actually. Has anyone else gone through the same thing? If so, I'd like to hear your stories. Hopefully I'm not the only one.

Care to elaborate?

joeboo

Forum Probie
Don't worry worstEMTever (that name is funny),

I've moved pts with the foley still clamped to the bed, given another a concussion on a backboard during a bumpy transport(no head cushion-whoops!), and accidentally punched another pt in the face!

I have also pulled the stretcher with the NRB mask still attached! my last episode I gave "Cricoid" Pressure right on the Adams apple!(needless to say we intubated the stomach twice and we had to cram a rescue airway down pt's throat!)

The point is, after 2 and a half years(still green), I have learned that you have to let s@&* go, learn from your mistakes, and move on.

You will be ok if you do that

leoemt

Forum Captain
Don't worry worstEMTever (that name is funny),

I've moved pts with the foley still clamped to the bed, given another a concussion on a backboard during a bumpy transport(no head cushion-whoops!), and accidentally punched another pt in the face!

I have also pulled the stretcher with the NRB mask still attached! my last episode I gave "Cricoid" Pressure right on the Adams apple!(needless to say we intubated the stomach twice and we had to cram a rescue airway down pt's throat!)

The point is, after 2 and a half years(still green), I have learned that you have to let s@&* go, learn from your mistakes, and move on.

You will be ok if you do that

I've done the second only in my case it was a Nasal Cannula and not a NRB. Fortunately the patient was DLOC and no injury suffered. Very embarrassing though and now I verbally call out O2 Clear.

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief
Dude, don't worry -- it once took me so long to put on an NC that the medic did it for me. My favorite "screw up," though, is when I got a tongue lashing for being "too nice" to the ETOH patient.

More calls --> more experience

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
The only mistake I've ever made was thinking I was wrong. :cool:

JPINFV

Gadfly
did you ask a quad to raise his arms? (I did)

don't worry, it's ok.

That's one part I hated about doing a month on inpatient rehab. "Can you lift that arm? Awesome... still 2/5 muscle strength."
1291131680_two-thumbs-up.jpg

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member

Nope.

Because we don't know what you did so we can't compare.

Did you kill someone or drop someone? If not, I'd say you're fine.

NPO

Forum Deputy Chief
We've all made mistakes. They are good water cooler talk for later and great for teaching moments later down the road if you become an FTO. I know it can be discouraging, my first partner was a terrible EMT. Competent with his skills, just not fit for the job on a personal level.

Clare

Forum Asst. Chief
Don't worry about it mate, when I was very new on the road I recall one Officer who would not even acknowledge I existed because he just didn't like me for some reason; he would totally ignore me except for giving me foul looks.

Turns out he was not well liked or respected by others either but still, didn't go over well for instilling confidence in my abilities that's for sure.

Veneficus

Forum Chief
On my first call ever I failed to notice the exposed brain matter on the MVA pt I started compressions on.

Not my finest hour.

medichopeful

Flight RN/Paramedic
Experience as in traumatizing? Or experience as in "wow, that was dumb of me!"

I've had more traumatizing experiences in nursing then EMS, but if it was a traumatizing experience you had I'd consider talking to a counselor about it! :sad: Or elaborating here a bit so we can give you a hand.

If it was just a stupid moment, or a stupid mistake, forgive yourself! We all make them. Hell, just the other day for some strange reason I got momentarily concerned when a drunk patient's BGL was around 136 and I asked them if they were a diabetic. Interesting moment to say the least (though they won't remember it, I will and I'm sure someone else on scene will! :rolleyes:). If we/me/you/anybody makes a mistake does it mean they aren't cut out for this job? No! It means you're human. If need be, learn from it, maybe review something or read up on something if that will help, and then laugh at yourself. It's helpful! :p

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
Lets hope the OP comes back so we can hear the story...

Last edited by a moderator:

Luno

OG
Premium Member
Just don't take the word of a FF that "it's just anxiety." I was looking into my middle aged pt's eyes when they glassed over and she died from a PE. Third shift as an EMT...

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
Just don't take the word of a FF that "it's just anxiety." I was looking into my middle aged pt's eyes when they glassed over and she died from a PE. Third shift as an EMT...

Why does it have to be a firefighter? Are they the only medical providers that can do wrong?

Luno

OG
Premium Member
It didn't have to be a FF, that FF could of been a very attentive EMS provider... Wasn't. ;)