Hi from New Jersey! Whose from Vermont?

CaitlinGlasser

Forum Ride Along
Hey I'm new to emt life (both the website and real life) and to cut straight to the chase I want to be a paramedic in Vermont. Specifically Stowe Vermont (heaven). One of the forums on here said paramedics aren't popular in Vermont. Then I saw someone on here who is becoming a paramedic in Vermont. So that's a little confusing. Does anyone know a paramedic program there? Or care to explain anything about being in that lifestyle? I'd appreciate comments from anyone.

rwik123

Forum Asst. Chief
Hey I'm new to emt life (both the website and real life) and to cut straight to the chase I want to be a paramedic in Vermont. Specifically Stowe Vermont (heaven). One of the forums on here said paramedics aren't popular in Vermont. Then I saw someone on here who is becoming a paramedic in Vermont. So that's a little confusing. Does anyone know a paramedic program there? Or care to explain anything about being in that lifestyle? I'd appreciate comments from anyone.

Most people that I know from vermont in medic programs head down to NH. Theres a shift going on in Vermont to paramedics. Its well known that they were a rather rare breed, most providers being Intermediates. If you have any specific questions I'd be happy to address them.

OP
OP
C

CaitlinGlasser

Forum Ride Along
Most people that I know from vermont in medic programs head down to NH. Theres a shift going on in Vermont to paramedics. Its well known that they were a rather rare breed, most providers being Intermediates. If you have any specific questions I'd be happy to address them.

Yea it seems like paramedics don't stick around Vermont for very long. Why is that? I was thinking if paramedics are rare there then they'd be making decent money.

rwik123

Forum Asst. Chief
Yea it seems like paramedics don't stick around Vermont for very long. Why is that? I was thinking if paramedics are rare there then they'd be making decent money.

For how rural some places are, protocols are fairly restrictive. I'd blame that mainly.

Btalon

Forum Probie
The protocols in VT are restrictive and recently they have made a step in the right direction and are putting out new statewide protocols that almost mirror the NH protocols.

I'm dual licensed, as are many of the people I work with. It is hard as the local medical directors oversee the medics and who gets licensed in their area. If they feel there are enough medics to cover the area, they don't need and frequently won't sign off on new medics to get licensed.

Best thing to do would be to check in that area for EMS providers and see who covers Stowe, contact them and get it directly from them. There is a good turnover in all aspects of EMS, doesn't matter where you live.

I think it's harder for medics to get into services there as areas are actually small with the pool of people available an when an opening comes up there are people that are already in the know and have an upper hand, staff EMT's are easier as there are shifts to fill and transfers to cover. In my area it's a medic intercept, so less of a demand for medics.

CFal

Forum Captain
The protocols in VT are restrictive and recently they have made a step in the right direction and are putting out new statewide protocols that almost mirror the NH protocols.

I'm dual licensed, as are many of the people I work with. It is hard as the local medical directors oversee the medics and who gets licensed in their area. If they feel there are enough medics to cover the area, they don't need and frequently won't sign off on new medics to get licensed.

Best thing to do would be to check in that area for EMS providers and see who covers Stowe, contact them and get it directly from them. There is a good turnover in all aspects of EMS, doesn't matter where you live.

I think it's harder for medics to get into services there as areas are actually small with the pool of people available an when an opening comes up there are people that are already in the know and have an upper hand, staff EMT's are easier as there are shifts to fill and transfers to cover. In my area it's a medic intercept, so less of a demand for medics.

I see you list OEC under training, are you a patroller?

OP
OP
C

CaitlinGlasser

Forum Ride Along

Thanks for replying! I'll try to get a hold of the medical director for Stowe. I don't want to be anywhere but Stowe so I hope they make an exception for me.