Hi 2nd year in college had a few questions

Maybe11

Forum Ride Along
Well this is my 2nd year in college and i know everyone goes through the whole phases of well i think i want to do this i want to do that but for some reason EMT/Paramedic always caught my eye so I tried reading up on it ( excuse the run on sentence for those that are grammar retentive ) and came up with just job description this and that I'm really interested in a actual opinion. I've asked around all my buddies and it's always the same two responses. Mostly i get the whole say good bye to the life you had because your life will be your job and the i got a couple saying it would be something that would keep me on my toes and it would be good for me. I'd just like to ask for a little information about how it is to work as a EMT from someone that is a EMT instead of just reading line after line of you will need this class this many hours and will be on your knees ALOT.

Anything will help i really want to figure out whether or not i should start pursuing the courses for EMT and stop digging myself into this endless pit with student loans taking general study and intro classes that might not even help me in the long run with what i may or may not want to do.

Mostly curious about working hours, mental/physical stress, working conditions,pay,how to get internships/jobs at medical facilities or fire departments and whatever else you think is relevant to possibly helping me figure out whether or not EMT is really a good career choice for me. (I understand that you MOST likely don't know what kind of person I am or what my work ethic is or even personality but being an EMT genuinely interests me and i just need a push in the right direction so to speak) (long caption i know)(and i know there are a lot of captions through this whole thing but i felt it was needed:p)

Last edited by a moderator:

Paranini

Forum Probie
I think the most important thing you need to ask yourself is why you want to do this job. and I'm not saying that to be jaded or cynical I've seen a lot of new EMTs and medics come into EMS with rose-colored glasses and a heart of gold be greatly disappointed by the difference between what they thought the job would be and what it actually is. EMS varies greatly from area to area as well-calls, responses, companies etc.

If you do decide to be in EMS, the best advice I can give you is to have a solid outside life. We see people fairly regularly who are not, well...., outstanding, contributing members of society. Its very easy to become jaded about life if all you see are the trenches.

OP
OP
M

Maybe11

Forum Ride Along
Thanks haha because I dunno if it's what they heard or what but they started giving me the impression that doing EMS would be like devoting my life to it. Though i am still curious what is a average work day for EMS?

Paranini

Forum Probie
Its different for each area. I work in Fresno CA so its pretty busy. I work a 24 hr shift @ a rural station that averages 3-4 calls a day with a 1-2 hr transport time and then 2 12 hour metro shifts where I'm in the city averaging 6-10 calls a shift. The system itself averages 500 calls a day. I've also worked in a very rural system where we only ran 3500 calls a year. Urban EMS is definitely more interesting in my opinion.

BOPDCTEMT

Forum Probie
I have been an EMT for going on 8 years, I have tried to leave EMS and keep coming back because it's what I love to do. I will say this...don't come into this profession thinking that you are going to make lots of money and all you do is sit around the station and wait until the next call. If you live in a big city chances are the only sitting you will be doing is in the Ambulance going to the next call. There is also the possibility that stations don't exist and you will be blessed with System Status Management (one ambulance moves, they all move). And on a more humorous note....Don't expect to be seen as a HERO, fire fighter's and police officer's have that covered! :lol:

VentMedic

Forum Chief
There are also those that stay in EMS or keep coming back to it because they have not gotten an education to advance to some other area of medicine or get a different job. It's like an old shoe because it fits and one doesn't have to step outside their level of comfort. For these individuals, I would say it is more of a job and not a career.

For those who want to excel and make this a career should see it for the medicine and not a "job" with the uniform and nice truck or how many calls one can squeeze in during a 24 hour shift. Too many calls while being too tired just makes you a half-arsed taxi driver with little quality assessment being done. Actually, a taxi driver only working 12 hour shift might see more things going on with a patient.

Finish your college and after that you may have a couple more years of maturity to see the profession differently. It will also make EMT and Paramedic school much easier as you will have established study habits. You could also take a couple of A&P classes if your schedule permits which may also introduce you to different aspects of medicine.

Outbac1

Forum Asst. Chief
It is not a job or career for everyone. A couple of ridealongs with a fairly busy company may,or may not, give you an idea of some of the things the work entails.

I'm not a fan of having a university degree just for the sake of having one. However having one may open many doors down the road. Few people can pick a lifes carreer when they are 20 or so. If emergency medicine interests you, then you need to persue more information about it. Perhaps you should take some anatomy and biology type courses, or even change your major. If you don't have a goal for the end of your degree a Bachelor of Science will serve as well as a Bachelor of Arts. If you are still interested in being a Paramedic then look for a course that gives you that as a degree. It will allow you more opportunities down the road. If, as I suspect, you are young(under 25), you have lots of time. No need to rush and get a paramedic cert and jump into the workforce. Especially if you are half way through a degree anyway. There is more to emergency medicine than being a paramedic. You need to keep options open for down the road. When you get to be 45-50 you may be a little tired of carrying that 350-400lb person down stairs and up out of ditches. It is always good to have options.

If you cruise through this site you will find many comments on the day to day life of a medic. Enjoy, best of luck and welcome to the zoo.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
MAYBE111, I CAN read your personality!!

First, you gotta put down the pipe...just kidding. ;)(Punctuation makes for an easier read for us).
Hm, let's see, about twenty years old, single I assume. OK, first thing is that all our advice will be largely overrun by your enthsiasm if you really want this. We and your mama and your significant other won't be able to disabuse you.

Let me put it this way: don't go into it for the money. Don't go into it looking to start up a mythical medical career ladder. Don't go into it looking for hero worship or pretty/handsome /grateful patients (search for thread about "first patients"). GO get training, get into a situation where you can try it out, but keep your studies first and your paying job second. A volunteer dept or small company willing to accomodate your schedule (which will mean mostly transfers, but that's good initial training) can let you get a taste, maybe even lifeguarding. These will start your training and curricula vita, and give you a chance to learn about working under pressure, boredom, and irritation.

Remember that tens of thousands of people, young, old, paid and unpaid, and poorly paid, want that sort of job. If you start out as a basic EMT, fine, but keep your eyes up and ahead, always keep training, and be ready to move to another career ladder when you have hit the stops. The job pyramid in emergency services is more like a thumbtack; big base, rapidly tapering to a tiny pinnacle.

OP
OP
M

Maybe11

Forum Ride Along
Thanks for the insight guys it helped a lot i think i'm going to go out and try to see if i cant get a ride along and see how it is. Oh ya thanks again :D