Help?

krusevitche

Forum Probie
Hi,
Just want to say thanks to all who took the time to reply to my earlier post. I really appreciated it!!! But now I have something else gnawing at my brain. I'm going as a third rider Friday and don't know if I should lay low and stay out of the EMT's way or try to do what I can (which wouldn't be much I just started the course 4 weeks ago) My instructor isn't the chatty type and when I asked what to expect was told to just act professional. I am second in line to go and the first kid who went isn't going to be a reliable source of info I fear. I have visions of being left at the side of the road chasing after the ambulance (oh wait that is a lawyer) Thanks again!!

teedubbyaw

Forum Deputy Chief
Don't lay low. Depending on the type of medics you get, they'll pay little attention to you if you do not show some initiative. Be friendly, ask questions, tell them what you have done so far in class, and what you think you need work on. Getting hands on experience is invaluable.

Other than that, have fun and be confident.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
When you get there ask the crew you're riding with what they expect of you.

I always have a little speil I give third riders about what I expect ask them what they expect, anything they really want to do, anything they need help on or want to go over, things like that. Personally, if the rider proves themselves competent or they're really willing to listen and follow directions I'll let them do anything in their scope. Always go through the entire truck and my bags with them as well if they're interested. Personally if a student shows up and doesn't seem interested at all I'll try to engage them a couple times then after that I'm not going to go out of my way to help someone who doesn't it.

Some crews are student friendly and love to teach, others not so much.

My advice would be show up early, like 15 minutes not an hour...that's just weird.
Be friendly, introduce yourself, be professional, ask what you can help with.
Like I said, the more proactive you are the more the crew will be willing to help you learn, most of the time.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
K

krusevitche

Forum Probie
Don't lay low. Depending on the type of medics you get, they'll pay little attention to you if you do not show some initiative. Be friendly, ask questions, tell them what you have done so far in class, and what you think you need work on. Getting hands on experience is invaluable.

Other than that, have fun and be confident.

OK I had planned on taking that line of action, that makes me feel so much better because I am not the dead fish type anyway. Thank you!!!!!

OP
OP
K

krusevitche

Forum Probie
When you get there ask the crew you're riding with what they expect of you.

I always have a little speil I give third riders about what I expect ask them what they expect, anything they really want to do, anything they need help on or want to go over, things like that. Personally, if the rider proves themselves competent or they're really willing to listen and follow directions I'll let them do anything in their scope. Always go through the entire truck and my bags with them as well if they're interested. Personally if a student shows up and doesn't seem interested at all I'll try to engage them a couple times then after that I'm not going to go out of my way to help someone who doesn't it.

Some crews are student friendly and love to teach, others not so much.

My advice would be show up early, like 15 minutes not an hour...that's just weird.
Be friendly, introduce yourself, be professional, ask what you can help with.
Like I said, the more proactive you are the more the crew will be willing to help you learn, most of the time.

Thanks so much, I hope there is someone like you there. I will remember your advice and try as hard as I can!

Engineered

Forum Probie
It never hurts to bring donuts to the station either, show up 15-20 minutes before the start of the shift, tuck your shirt in, pay attention, offer to pay for lunch if you can afford it, and ask questions. Most medics will be happy to hear from you.

Also, always keep a spare pair of gloves in your pocket, if your like me, I tear through them way too often (problem with hands being between a medium and large), and listen for instructions, they may actually need your help.

bigbaldguy

Former medic seven years 911 service in houston
You'll love it.

I've always explained my ride outs to friends and family like this.

Your first ride outs are like being kidnapped in Mexico. Two guys you don't know pull up and usually without saying much lock you in the back of a van and then drive you all over town. Occasionally the doors open and you squint at the bright light and you're told to get out and given orders you often don't understand. Then they put you back in the van. Sometimes there's screaming when the doors open. At the end of the ride you're dumped in front of a building as the van screeches away. When you get home you find blood on your shirt and can't remember how it got there.

The difference of course is that no one wants to be kidnapped a second time but we keep climbing into the back of that ambo don't we?

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
You'll love it.

I've always explained my ride outs to friends and family like this.

Your first ride outs are like being kidnapped in Mexico. Two guys you don't know pull up and usually without saying much lock you in the back of a van and then drive you all over town. Occasionally the doors open and you squint at the bright light and you're told to get out and given orders you often don't understand. Then they put you back in the van. Sometimes there's screaming when the doors open. At the end of the ride you're dumped in front of a building as the van screeches away. When you get home you find blood on your shirt and can't remember how it got there.

The difference of course is that no one wants to be kidnapped a second time but we keep climbing into the back of that ambo don't we?

:lol: