Help with Basic NREMT conflictions please..?

Jay506

Forum Crew Member
Hello all, first off i've put in the time and effort, in class as well as purchasing membership to a pretty expensive(for me) website, and I have no complaints but I'm hoping to get a few things clear, because I'm getting some conflicting answers from the site, as well as my book.

Please keep in mind, this for the NREMT-BASIC exam under the "current" guidelines that they're testing under. I believe it's still 2005, doesnt switch until 2012, correct?

AED/CPR: Adult

1. What do you do as lone EMT, Non-witnessed and witnessed collapse?

2. What do you do as you with partner, non-witnessed and witnessed collapse?

AED/CPR: Child Same two questions?

Any clarification would be much appreciated. Sometimes I get confused because I hear different things, hopefully someone familiar with the current NREMT exam can help.

I have other basic questions as well, but I'll start with these.

Hopefully this is the right forum, if not, please move, thanks.

Aprz

The New Beach Medic
This question was recently asked, and somebody posted up a link with the information quoted from nremt.org, however, I cannot find that post so I'll just repost it.

Consequently, the NREMT will be implementing all associated recommendations of the AHA Guidelines 2010 for CPR and Emergency Cardiovascular Care as of November 1, 2011 (Paramedic only) and January 1, 2012 (all other levels).
https://www.nremt.org/nremt/about/2010_aha_guidelines.asp

So yes, 2005 guidelines until Jan 1, 2012 for non-Paramedics. It's A-B-C, not C-A-B, until then.

Shock First vs CPR First

When you care for an unresponsive, nonbreathing, pulseless adult patient, should you attempt to shock first with an AED or provide CPR first? The following points address this issue:
  • When you witness an out-of-hospital adult arrest and an AED is available, use the AED as soon as possible. You may perform chest compressions until the AED has been applied and is ready for rhythm analysis.
  • Healthcare providers who treat cardiac arrest in the hospital and other facilities with an AED should provide immediate CPR, then use the AED as soon as it is available.
  • EMS system medical directors may consider following a protocol that allows EMS responders to give 2 minutes (about 5 cycles) of CPR before attempting defibrillation with an AED, particularly when the call-to-response time interval is longer than 4 to 5 minutes or if they did not witness the arrest.
  • Follow the AED voice prompts. The AED will analyze the heart rhythm and, if indicated, instruct you to deliver a shock. If the rhythm that is detected is nonshockable, the AED will instruct you to resume CPR immediately, starting with chest compressions.
  • Remember to minimize interruptions in chest compressions.
Advance Cardiovascular Life Support P. 38, I tried typing it word-to-word verbatim. I know it's ACLS, but it doesn't change, and I can't find my blue book.

Also a person did ask about witnessed v. unwitnessed arrest, and JPINFV quoted and provided a link to the AHA research on that http://www.emtlife.com/showthread.php?p=304425#post304425.

I believe for everyone (except neonates with with ventilation compromise), one person compression:ventilation ratio is 30:2 (including neonates with suspected cardiac etiology). For two person, 30:2 for adult, 15:2 for child and infant (neonates if suspected cardiac etiology).

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
J

Jay506

Forum Crew Member
Thank you very much Aprz! Very helpful info, thanks.