Help with abc's?

mikie

Forum Lurker
But like everybody has said, there really are no books with questions that are going to exactly be like the questions on the NREMT and that was basically my last trouble. So I guess when I take my NREMT again basically if they need NRB or NC I will always choose NRB unless in the question it states they have already taken on the NRB and cannot tolerate it then I will choose NC.

That's interesting. I think the books helped me tremendously for the NR exam. There was some difference in questions, but I understood more than the 'medicine' but what the questions are really asking.

OP
OP
lalaneedstopass

lalaneedstopass

Forum Crew Member
That's interesting. I think the books helped me tremendously for the NR exam. There was some difference in questions, but I understood more than the 'medicine' but what the questions are really asking.

Yeah the books have definitely helped me. But I think what people were pointing out is that the questions from the NREMT and the questions from the study books are just very different. Most of the books I've seen are basically 2 answers are right but what's the best answer as opposed to the NREMT all 4 answers are generally right, what's the best answer.

EMT-P633

Forum Crew Member
I am assuming you are a basic student?

A good friend of mine who has been a medic for 20+ years taught me its not any certain condition or SaO2 % to use NC or NRB, base your oxygen delivery device upon your patients oxygen needs.

If the PT is calm, talking in full sentences, with no apparent distress, no cyanosis then yes, use the NC.

IF the PT is aggitated, anxious, cyanotic, lethargic, using accessory muscles, showing retractions, ETC then use the NRB.

But when I was in school. we were taught for NR if you are going to apply oxygen to the patient use high flow.

EMS contains alot of grey matter (not the kind you can cook with eggs) the kind that is between black and white. Depending on what book or refference you read you will find different answers to different statistics. Alot is due on what author wrote the material.

I would ask your instuctor exactly what NR in your area is looking for. Yes NR is supposed to be "national" criteria but your practical examiners are all from your region. Thus your region may differ slightly from another region.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
. Most of the books I've seen are basically 2 answers are right but what's the best answer as opposed to the NREMT all 4 answers are generally right, what's the best answer.

Who told you this? They intentionally misinformed you!

The NREMT uses a 4 multiple choice answer system. One is ridiculously stupid, one is odd and the hard part is choosing between the two left, which is the most correct answer. You will NEVER find exact treatment modalities on the NREMT exam. There will always be a odd part of an answer. They do NOT test protocols, so they cannot be held liable for treatment to patients.

R/r 911