hello

ukmedic

Forum Ride Along
hi from the sunny UK my wife and i are looking for some advice as we would like to move to Florida and need to know what jobs could be available.

i am a EMT in the UK with 8 yrs experience and my wife is AMPDS qualified with two yrs experience working in a dispatch center doing both call taking and dispatching amb's, RRV's and heli's.

any advice or links to other sites giving us some more information would be great

TheDoll

Forum Captain
hello! i don't have advice, but i thought i'd say welcome! good luck with everything!

my roommate is also from the UK, but he is some sort of engineer. so, he's not in our field at all.

OP
OP
ukmedic

ukmedic

Forum Ride Along
thank you the web is a minefield of information some useful ....some not!

as i said any info ppl can give us will be welcomed

uselessmedic

Forum Crew Member
Don't know anything about Fla., but welcome to the forum and good luck with the hunt!!!!

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
Why florida? We have 49 other states that are lovely!

mikeylikesit

Candy Striper
hello there, it depends on where in Florida that your looking, Around Miami there are a ton of oppurtunities i hear, here is a link that should give you some insight.
http://www.911hotjobs.com/

OP
OP
ukmedic

ukmedic

Forum Ride Along
Why florida? We have 49 other states that are lovely!

only cause it is somewhere we know and love....don't mind where we go but trying to find out whether my qualification in the UK can get me a job in the US

mikeylikesit

Candy Striper
Here you go UKmedic this site provides what is necessary for your Florida cert. it should have a number to call and ask.

oneluv79

Forum Crew Member
hi from the sunny UK my wife and i are looking for some advice as we would like to move to Florida and need to know what jobs could be available.

i am a EMT in the UK with 8 yrs experience and my wife is AMPDS qualified with two yrs experience working in a dispatch center doing both call taking and dispatching amb's, RRV's and heli's.

any advice or links to other sites giving us some more information would be great

Hi UkMedic(and wife), welcome and I think I have some info that will help find out more about the type of answers that your looking for about your questions...I really hopes this help you....

http://www.nremt.org/EMTServices/recip_fl.asp

Contact Information
Executive Director: Betsey Hines, Elizabeth_hines@doh.state.fl.us
Organization: Certification Office for EMT/Paramedic and Radiological Technology
Address: 4052 Bald Cypress Way, Bin C85, Tallahassee, FL 32399-3285
Telephone: 850/245-4910
Fax: 850/245-4385
Home Page: http://www.doh.state.fl.us/mqa/EMT-Paramedic/
http://www.doh.state.fl.us/mqa/Rad-Tech/

oneluv79:)

OP
OP
ukmedic

ukmedic

Forum Ride Along
thank you oneluv have emailed that person and just waiting for a reply now :wacko:

OP
OP
ukmedic

ukmedic

Forum Ride Along
another question about where my skill level equates to america

DRUGS I CAN GIVE:

ASPIRIN
GTN
VENTOLIN (NEB'D)
GLUCAGON
HYPOSTOP
RECTAL DIAZEPAM (KNOWN SEIZURE)
ADRENALINE 1:1000 FOR SEVERE ASTHMA AND ANAPHALAXIS
ENTONOX
OXYGEN.

SKILLS BASE:
PULSE
BLOOD SUGARS
BLOOD PRESSURE
12 LEAD ECG (AND RECOGNITION)
DEFIB
BLS (BUT COUNTED AS ADVANCED AS CAN INTUBATE USING AN LMA)

ALSO ADVANCED EMT TRAINING UNDER IHCD

ALSO BEEN BLUE LIGHT TRAINED ON BOTH AMBULANCES AND RAPID RESPONSE VEHICLES.

OP
OP
ukmedic

ukmedic

Forum Ride Along
finally got the reply my email

"Your education is not recognized by Florida statute. You will need to attend a FL program and then test for certification here."

so thats everything crystal clear now :wacko::wacko::wacko:

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Actually... one more idea. Talk to the National Registry... they might have an idea to help you.

Jon

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
ALSO BEEN BLUE LIGHT TRAINED ON BOTH AMBULANCES AND RAPID RESPONSE VEHICLES.

Is that the famed "UK School of driving crazy"?

I had a medic explain the UK driving school to me at the JEMS conference several years ago... he said he'd also worked on the armed PD response cars as their medic. Seemed like a good program.

Would you be willing to recap what the training includes?

OP
OP
ukmedic

ukmedic

Forum Ride Along
Is that the famed "UK School of driving crazy"?

yes mate thats the one!

the ambulance driving course that i undertook is a shortened version of the police "roadcraft" course. it has been condensed down to 3 weeks instead of the 6 weeks that the police do.

the first week is spent going to back to basics where your driving is stripped back to when you first passed your test.....they attempt to rid you of your bad driving habits. the second week is where the fun begins we spent hrs drving around the whole of england with a different destination everyday.

Alot of the first few days involves motorway (interstate) driving where speeds are in excess of 120mph continuously. Then a bit more country driving going through small roads and lanes, again at speed.

The final week we moved onto the ambulances and did more or less the same things with the addition of several blue light runs through city centres.

Throughout the whole process you are constantly being evaluated and questioned re: written exams which are set at the end of the 3 weeks.

These exams are taken from the drivers manaul and include 75 questions on the highway code and IPSGA.These exams are pass/fail with no resits.

Last edited by a moderator: