Hello!

SobsChief1

Forum Ride Along
Hello! Please allow me to introduce myself. I am a certified 1st Responder and am employed as a campus public safety officer. I am an Army retiree and was an ambulance attendant from 1984 to 1988. My campus is in the process of starting a first responder team of which I am one of the first trainees. I am AED certified as well. I'm sure I will enjoy reading your posts and I hope to be able to ask this knowlegeable group some questions from time to time. Thanks for listening...uh reading and have a great day. B)

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Welcome to the community. I think you will find it a good place to sit back, relax, and maybe learn a few things. I know I have.

SafetyPro2

Forum Safety Officer
Welcome aboard from Southern California. Good luck with your program and let us know how it goes.

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
Originally posted by SobsChief1@Jun 11 2004, 06:40 PM
Hello! Please allow me to introduce myself. I am a certified 1st Responder and am employed as a campus public safety officer. I am an Army retiree and was an ambulance attendant from 1984 to 1988. My campus is in the process of starting a first responder team of which I am one of the first trainees. I am AED certified as well. I'm sure I will enjoy reading your posts and I hope to be able to ask this knowlegeable group some questions from time to time. Thanks for listening...uh reading and have a great day. B)
Welcome aboard!

Not only are you part of a newly forming First Responder organization, you're part of a newly forming forum as well.

We have some great and dedicated members, so I hope you come back and contribute often! Also, let us know how the program goes.

Just as a general question, what was your training as an "Ambulance Attendant?" This wasn't quite before my time, and I hear it every once in a while from a member of rural EMS, but what is it exactly?

OP
OP
S

SobsChief1

Forum Ride Along
My training to get started in the early 80's consisted of the Red cross Advanced first aid course that was sponsored by our local ambulance service. If you were sponsored by an ambulance service while taking that course you were issued a "certified ambulance attendant" certification and patch from the State of Vermont. Back then it was a brand new ambulance service that actually replaced the old funeral home Cadillac ambulance. Our equipment consisted of 2 van type Ford econoloine Ambulances (used) and one Heavy rescue unit made from an old 1 ton bread truck! I started my EMT-B course but I broke my leg and was out for 6 months at the end of which time I gave it up. I was the only male in an all female crew and since they hated driving the ambulances and I hated riding backwards (man, looking out the back window used to make me queasy), I was chosen to drive and perform any heavy rescue work. It was an all volunteer service then, but is now all paid personnel and with a new building, 4 ambulances and 2 heavy rescue units, they have come a long way.

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
Hey SOBSCheif. Welcome to EMTLife.com. Glad you signed up.

Chimp