Hello out there!

Nelg

Forum Crew Member
My name is Glen, and I'm currently attending an EMT-B course in Arkansas, looking at taking my NREMT test hopefully in May or June. I'm looking at getting on an ambulance service or something out in Northern California sometime this year. (Fell in love with the area when I visited the girlfriend's family out there.)

Look forward to reading the experiences of everyone else, and posting my NREMT results. I will admit, I'm nervous about it. Hearing some nightmare stories from students retaking the EMT-B where I'm at.

Will admit, though, that reading some in the NREMT forum is making me feel better. Lot less horror stories then I'd imagine.

MusicMedic

Forum Captain
My name is Glen, and I'm currently attending an EMT-B course in Arkansas, looking at taking my NREMT test hopefully in May or June. I'm looking at getting on an ambulance service or something out in Northern California sometime this year. (Fell in love with the area when I visited the girlfriend's family out there.)

Look forward to reading the experiences of everyone else, and posting my NREMT results. I will admit, I'm nervous about it. Hearing some nightmare stories from students retaking the EMT-B where I'm at.

Will admit, though, that reading some in the NREMT forum is making me feel better. Lot less horror stories then I'd imagine.

Welcome!!!! im in southern California, but i never have been in Northern CA other than San Fran.. ill have to make a road trip there one day

In my humble opinion the NREMT test is over-hyped.... its really not hard if you pay attention in class and read your book

just to let you know there arnt many Ambulance companies in Northern Cali, unless your looking in the San Jose area, so it might take a month or two or more to get hired on

OP
OP
Nelg

Nelg

Forum Crew Member
Thanks for the reply. And what area? Went to Burbank and Santa Clarita for about a week back in January.

Guess I should clarify more though.

Looking around the Sacramento/El Dorado County/Placerville areas. Just something about those areas that I fell in love with. And figured time wise I'd be waiting a bit. Was willing to take off just to travel around, also have some family in the area that said I could crash there for a bit.

Look forward to working more, and right now in the top 5 in my EMT-B class. Starting my ER clinical work this weekend, in fact. Don't know what it is everywhere else, but here where I am taking it at, it's 24 hours of ER work followed by 24 hours of Ambulance work.

Looking forward to it. :)

MusicMedic

Forum Captain
Im in Orange County, which is about 1.5-2 hours south of Burbank

i dont know that area of NorCal that well so i cant say much, but thats good that you have everything planned and set up!!

wow, when we did our Clincals/ride-along time for Emt class, we had only 8 hours of clincal time and two 8 hour shifts of ride-alongs. but i went on my own time and did a few more ride-alongs..

again welcome to the site!!

Fbarba123

Forum Lieutenant
Getting a job in Cal is difficult to begin with, but It def. is much easier to land a job in norcal than in socal. There are handfuls of ambulance companies that are constantly hiring throughout the norcal area, as well as hospitals.

Fbarba123

Forum Lieutenant
well there are ton's but the one's that are over here seem to be hiring. Like musicmedic said, your best bet is in the san jose/ San Fran area. They always have opening with IFT and BLS rigs

EmtTravis

Forum Captain
Im in Orange County, which is about 1.5-2 hours south of Burbank

i dont know that area of NorCal that well so i cant say much, but thats good that you have everything planned and set up!!

wow, when we did our Clincals/ride-along time for Emt class, we had only 8 hours of clincal time and two 8 hour shifts of ride-alongs. but i went on my own time and did a few more ride-alongs..

again welcome to the site!!

for my clinical time i had to do 10 dispatch 10 hours of ER and 40 hours of ride time.. also the company i did my clinicals was hospital based so when I did my ride time and we weren't out on calls I was helping in the ER still..

OP
OP
Nelg

Nelg

Forum Crew Member
Ohh, appreciate the feedback folks. Yeah, figured it might be just as hard there as here in this area. Around here, a lot of smaller towns and companies running on the "good ol' boy" system.

Know I wanted to pursue more education in the field, finding it very interesting to say the least. Know I'd like to further pursue while working, though, and would like to work into my EMT-I (or AEMT, I keep hearing many different names, depending on state or National level) and love to work on becoming a paramedic.

I'll keep those areas in mind, and was also going to check hospital ERs. Have till around May when I can take my NREMT anyways, just trying to get some research down and call outs, getting my name out there at least.

MusicMedic

Forum Captain
Ohh, appreciate the feedback folks. Yeah, figured it might be just as hard there as here in this area. Around here, a lot of smaller towns and companies running on the "good ol' boy" system.

Know I wanted to pursue more education in the field, finding it very interesting to say the least. Know I'd like to further pursue while working, though, and would like to work into my EMT-I (or AEMT, I keep hearing many different names, depending on state or National level) and love to work on becoming a paramedic.

I'll keep those areas in mind, and was also going to check hospital ERs. Have till around May when I can take my NREMT anyways, just trying to get some research down and call outs, getting my name out there at least.

EMT-I or Intermediate isnt really used in CA, there is only one school that u can get an EMT-I and its in Rural norcal...

thats because in Rural areas where they dont have alot of Paramedics, EMT-I can do alot of their tasks

Hospital ER's usually require 6months to a year experience (at least here in SoCal)

I dont know how it is in Norcal, but here in Socal Paramedic Schools require 6months to a year EMT experience also to get in.. i might be different up there

but like i said i dont know too much about NorCal EMS

OP
OP
Nelg

Nelg

Forum Crew Member
Ahh ok. Good to know early on too.

Wanted to get experience first and train and study from there, but we'll see where it goes as I go along.

Trying to set up a plan, but can't help but take a "as the bridge comes" approach. Know that the best laid plans tend to get shot down really fast too.