Hello new addition to the EMTlife community.

maims

Forum Ride Along
Hi I just recently discovered this website and was relieved to finally find a place I can seek for help. Long story short I've had some up's and downs in the EMT-B career. I am currently 2 1/2 months in EMT and this is the 2nd time I am taking EMT due to some personal reasons last semester. I have 2 more quiz's before the final and my average is a 74 right now. My average recently went down because my instructor had collected our workbooks which basically could have raised my average 3% from my original 75. I know I messed up and there is nothing else I can do about it now. Right now I'm really worried and ever since my average had went down I've been studying for hours for 3 days now. I need to get basically get 90's in the next 2 quiz's and 90 on the final but I want to get all 100's but I have such a hard time doing the quiz's because of my bad test taking skills. I always get 75's in my quiz's and only got 1 95 out of 8 quiz's. I really can't afford to retake lecture portion of EMT again it would break my mom's heart, I always speak of the future when I become a firefighter/paramedic and I would not know what to do if I let her down. I have a month until my final, I have made plans on reading the book again and taking a bunch of practice exams, but I really don't know what to do. Any advice would do me a great deal. Sorry for the long post I am really out of it right now..and experiencing every emotion you can think of.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
For a quick fix, I suggest reading all the objectives at the front of each chapter and being able to answer them thoroughly. This is what the workbooks questions is based upon.

For a long term investment, I highly suggest you be tested at your school, through education testing such as HOBET, Briggs, Nelson-Denny, etc. for reading comprehension and test taking skills, to increase your comprehension and improve your test taking scores.

Definitely, would advise this before moving upward.

Katie

Forum Lieutenant
Not sure which textbook you are using but the AAOS one has a really good website with quizzes, interactive flash cards and some other exercises that were really helpful for me. In our class we get a partner for the semester to do labs and practicals with, but my partner and I also help each other out studying and quizzing each other to help prepare. Not sure if you do a similar thing but it's really helped me a lot :) Anyhow best luck with your course!

reaper

Working Bum
As Rid stated, go to the school and ask for help. There are people that have trouble with test taking. They are there to help.

You need to do this now! If EMT class is hard on you, you will never make it through Paramedic or Fire school.

Cut this off at the pass, before you get in to deep. You need to find a way to retain the info, that works for you. everyone learns in different ways.

OreoThief

Forum Crew Member
What reaper said. Don't be afraid to let them know you're having trouble. The only dumb question is the one that was never asked.

Good luck.