Hawaii licensure

dlodest

Forum Probie
Hey all, did a search and didn't find the specific answer I was looking for. Just recently completed my basic course at Foothill Community College, which is in Los Altos, CA, a two quarter course. Also just earned my NREMT-B. my course only required you to work two shifts with either ambulance co, hospital, or FD, For clinical, i did mine with FD working 2 12 hour shifts. I have read that for a license in hawaii you need well over 100 hours of clinical exp. I'm hoping someone is familiar with foothills course, and I am really hoping someone knows if I will be granted a license. I fired off the form to my program director to fill out, so again, just hoping someone has more insight as to what I can expect. Also, if I do not obtain a license, does that bar me from practicing anywhere or just on a rig? As I am moving to oahu, I am okay with working at a private practice for awhile so I can enjoy my time there with my fiancé. As an aside, my dream career is to work fire out there. First post here so I'm hoping I did everything right. Thanks in advance guys, and aloooooha

Dan

OP
OP
D

dlodest

Forum Probie
Just to clarify, my main question is...Will my NREMT-B be worth anything without the state license? I understand that I would not be able to work with county ems but as I said in the post above, what about private practice or even hospital?

Thanks

chaz90

Community Leader
Community Leader
I can't speak with any authority on Hawaii. In general though, the NREMT isn't a "license to practice" anywhere. That comes from the medical director and requires individual state certification whether it's county or private. Look at privates anywhere else. National Registry isn't always required, but state certification is mandatory. Hospitals may be different as you're often functioning in a tech role that doesn't even require EMT, but this varies as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
D

dlodest

Forum Probie
That makes complete sense. I feel a little silly that I didn't think about that before I posted. Thank you

ExpatMedic0

MS, NRP
Chaz is correct, but almost every state will take the NREMT for reciprocity in one way or another. I filed reciprocity into Hawaii with my NREMT for MICP(Paramedic) and was accepted. However, beyond the NREMT they also wanted to verify my Paramedic program hours to make sure they met Hawaii standards.

Anyway check this
http://www.nremt.org/nremt/about/stateReciprocityMap.asp

OP
OP
D

dlodest

Forum Probie
Thanks expat. Well here's another couple questions for ya...if I am unable to attain a state license, what do you recommend I do? Also, as I said above, would any prospective employers even care that I was NR ie, a private practice? I remember a few months back I actually swapped a few emails back and forth with the hiring manager from a company called Joffe Emergency Services. I think they mostly supply emts and micts for events on the island. She knew what I had, being my course completion, NR, and my fire Cert, and she seemed to really want to hire me. Is this because she assumed I could get a state license or maybe she was not familiar with the requirements?

OP
OP
D

dlodest

Forum Probie
btw, expat, the state reciprocity for HI on the NR website doesn't load for me. If you are able to view what it says could you post a screen shot perhaps? or even email it to me?

OP
OP
D

dlodest

Forum Probie
As I keep researching I keep coming up with more and more questions. Can someone give me the run down of the fire-ems merger? And is it true that honolulu FD are only basics and they don't even have medic/mict and leave it to honolulu ems?

OP
OP
D

dlodest

Forum Probie
So I have not heard back from anyone yet, ie my teacher on filling out reciprocity paperwork nor the state reciprocity number. I am headed out in July, can anyone recommend any cert classes I could take to make myself stand out? Maybe an AHA EKG/pharmacology course? Would it be worth it? They aren't cheap, looks like $300 for a class. My basic course, we only had a brief lecture on EKG and my only experience was assisting a FF/medic with a 12 lead EKG during one of our calls. As I stated above and my reason for asking is I am simply preparing myself to branch out as an MA or tech when I arrive since I am unsure of hat will become of my license. Thanks again guys

Dan

ExpatMedic0

MS, NRP
I have no idea about that one. maybe google hospital tech positions in Hawaii and see what job description states. Often they will have minimum and "preferred" recommendations for experience, training, and education.