Having Trouble Passing NREMT-B - Suggestions?

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
To late to worry now, get a good nights sleep and good luck!

R/r 911

OP
OP
C

Cincy53

Forum Crew Member
I have been in the brady book and it's come highly recommended from other people. So far it's leaps and bounds better than the Kaplan. I'll have to check out the others. Another student told me about a website she practiced over RELIGIOUSLY and said she passed her first try. Emtb.com.....looks like a great website to me. Any input on this?

mikeylikesit

Candy Striper
never used it because when i tried a few years ago they had thier EMT-B and EMT-P questions transversed.

OP
OP
C

Cincy53

Forum Crew Member
Well the practice books says it's current with the 10th edition of the brady book. but idk how current the emtb.com website is.

mikeylikesit

Candy Striper
i still suggest the green mosby book at barnes and noble. like said 90% of the questions in the book were on the test...like how many mm/hg per second do you deflate a BP cuff at?

ksrrvfd

Forum Probie
Really look at what the question is asking....

Hey Cincy53. I just took the Paramedic test and thank goodness I passed it. I think for me (and for some others in my class) it was really important to break the question down and look at what it was really asking for. This sounds easy to do but I also think if the person testing isn't careful it may catch them by surprise. Not saying this is what you did but it may be something to look at next time. I was lucky enough to take my paramedic class at a place where the first try pass rate for the NR is about 99 %. However, the fail out rate for the class is close to that as well. started with 22 ppl and 8 ppl graduated. Good luck next time and I am sure you'll get it done.

DALE

Forum Ride Along
Nremt Study Advice

I am about to finish the EMT-Basic training and am preparing to take the NREMT. I have looked at several different study books but keep seeing conflicting reviews. Any advice on what works best? Books and/or on-line practice sites?

GonnaBeEMT

Forum Crew Member
I just took the NREMT-B test on the 20th of May and I passed it the first try. I used all of the websites that poppawilly mentioned. I have never taken a test like the NREMT test before. You really need to know your text book from cover to cover, it really tests your knowledge, not just your ability to spit out answers to standardized questions. You really need to know what to do in different scenarios and you need to know why you did it.

My best advice to anyone studying for the NREMT test would be to go to the chapter reviews in your textbook and do them, and reeally read all of the the scenarios and the stuff you do poorly on in the reviews go back over that chapter until you understand the concepts.

poppawilly

Forum Probie
oops!!!!!!!! forgot to mention my book studies.

books- brady book self assessment exam prep
brady book- refresher for the emt-b
brady book- 10th addition school book

gonnabe is right. nremt questions is alot harder than the online questions so it does help to know the book cover to cover. but in my case, my co-workers say i have test anxiety. i have been out of school for 23 years and haven;t seen a test this hard since. they recommended i add online quizzes to my studies not only for knowledge but learn how to take a test.

mikeylikesit

Candy Striper
like i have replied to the others who have asked this very question...Mosby EMT-B book. you can find it at Barnes and Noble, it is green. I promise that if you study this book that you will pass the NREMT.

loadngo

Forum Probie
As stated the Mosby materials seem to be the best. Go back and read your class textbook cover to cover. Schedule an hour each day, 9-10pm or whatever that you will sit down and study with no distractions allowed. Good luck.

OP
OP
C

Cincy53

Forum Crew Member
Hey KSR. thanks for the tips. One of my problems is that I'm so used to written exams that i often look back through my exams and reference and check my questions. i'm learning how to break down the test questions but changing your whole though process is pretty tough. Thanks again! and congrats on you 'Medic certification!

optimusprime

Forum Ride Along
NREMT-B Practical?

So, I passed the cognitive portion of my exam last week, and got my notification... something about psychomotor exam... I'm in Illinois... is there some practical exam portion I wasn't told about? How do I complete it?

Thanks.

mikeylikesit

Candy Striper
You should have completed those your last day of class before you passed. these are just your practicals so like said unless your states policy is different from mine then either the NREMT association didn't get the documentation stating that you completed your practicals from your instructor or they really want you to take the practicals twice.

optimusprime

Forum Ride Along
Does "documentation" in this case mean that my instructor needs to click a checkbox like for the course verification? Or, does some actual paperwork need to be exchanged... because paperwork is very slow by comparison.

mikeylikesit

Candy Striper
so i take it that you did do a practical? so wait till Rid can answer he should be able to tell you what to do but i would definitely contact your instructor.

eging1451

Forum Probie
Don't waste your time. You failed. Sorry man, but they don't mess this stuff up. Remember your ABCs and that scene safety comes first. Don't think too hard about questions.

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
NREMT Test

Having taken the test now, what would you wish you would have known/done prior to taking the NREMT Test?

mikeylikesit

Candy Striper
Having taken the test now, what would you wish you would have known/done prior to taking the NREMT Test?
I wouldn't have changed a single thing. i studied with a book (Mosby's) and went into both tests feeling confident. i finished each ( back in the pencil and paper time) in less than one hour and passed the first time both times.