Having to rescue one of your own.

mfrjason

Forum Lieutenant
I can remember this one call and it is one I will never forget. It was the summer of,oh hell,I cant remember,lol,anyways I know I was a probationary member of the ambulance at the time and was on call,when I heard our tones go off but it was for a fire call,because the ambulance and fire dept use the same tones. The call was for a brush fire and I decided that I didnt want to go so I stayed home. I heard the fire dept clear their call so I figured it was nothing big. Shortly after they returned to station,our tones went out again for a personal injury accident involving 2 cars,so I grabbed my radio and headed out. While en-route to the call the ambulance and fire dept called on scene so I went directly to the scene. I got to the scene and went to find the ambulance attendant and found her in the car with the patient. She advised me that it was one of our first responder's,so I went and started pulling equipment (backboard,c-collars,etc). I went to the unit and got on the radio to contact county dispatch to have them notify our director of the situation but county did not answer. We had found out from the driver of the other vehicle that he use to be on the same fire department but had resigned. We also found out that the mfr was responding to the brush fire call,and in our department the only time the ambulance goes out to fire scenes is either if they are called or if its a structure fire,he was also responding with only lights on,no siren,which he got cited for cuz it is a violation of the public saftey act,which states that if you are running emergency status in your personal vehicle,you must have a light and siren going at the same time.