Have you been a career EMT/Paramedic and if not what did you do first?

ViolynEMT

Forum Chiefess
Violinist in a symphony and opera orchestra as well as playing shows with celebrities that come to town and need an orchestra. I still do this. Trying to juggle both.

captaindepth

Forum Lieutenant
I worked as commercial diver for 5yrs in the GOM before moving to EMS. Worked as an EMT-B full time for 1.5yrs (in a busy 911 system) before going to paramedic school. So glad I got the EMT experience prior to tackling pramedic school, it went a long way.

redundantbassist

Nefarious Dude
I'm a 19 years old, fresh out of high school. Got my EMT cert during my senior year, got my EMR/CFR/ whatever you want to call it during my sophomore year. I'm probably going to pursue a career in law enforcement after I get my life organized.

johnrsemt

Forum Deputy Chief
I worked in Retail electronics as a sales person and then a manager for 13 years; got into EMS as a Volunteer as a way to destress from my FT work; enjoyed it so much that after 4 years I quit retail and went to work at a FT Private service, kept at the fire department PT

cruiseforever

Forum Asst. Chief
Worked at the family business until it was sold. Was on the local volunteer Fire/EMS department for 10 years. Became a paramedic 25 years ago. It's a rare day I do not want to go to work.

Mantis Toboggan

Forum Probie
Im currently in paramedic school finishing up AAS degree. The students in my class are a pretty diverse bunch in terms of age and experience—for many, EMS will be their second career. As a college student, I was previously pursuing degrees in philosophy and sociology before my sudden transition into EMS. Now, I am decisively med-school bound.

Joey DeMartino

Forum Crew Member
Not too late yet. Started in the fire service in '77, worked a couple of years on a medic unit, joined a shot crew and kept fixing booboos'. Did some gov. stuff - but stayed in the fire/ems field ever since. Headin' for 6 months of seasonal fireline medic and 6 months surfing and reverting back to my troubled youth. At my age I gotta' grab it before the pine box grabs me. 36yo is an old man huh?!

MkVity

Aut viam inveniam aut faciam.
Not too late yet. Started in the fire service in '77, worked a couple of years on a medic unit, joined a shot crew and kept fixing booboos'. Did some gov. stuff - but stayed in the fire/ems field ever since. Headin' for 6 months of seasonal fireline medic and 6 months surfing and reverting back to my troubled youth. At my age I gotta' grab it before the pine box grabs me. 36yo is an old man huh?!

Your only just starting life it gets way more exciting now ;)

Joey DeMartino

Forum Crew Member
With guys like you around- it'll only get better. EMT-Basics on this site are as good as if not better than the medics I broke in with. Pretty humbling but definitely encouraging to us of the geriatric persuasion.

Burritomedic1127

Forum Captain
Worked as a lifeguard, lobsterman, and at a surf shop prior to cutting my medical teeth. Took a wilderness first responder course to work as a ski patrol (snowboard patrol cough cough) and then that's where I made the mistake of working on the bandaid bus ha

emschick1985

Medic
Management in retail. Got tired of the same ole thing everyday and wanted to do something my kids would be proud of me for. Then once I realized I did not wanna be a shoe saleswoman forever, I hit college and never looked back!

roninwarrior

Forum Crew Member
First got EMT when I was 18, did a lot of volunteer EMS/Fire. Got into computer science stuff and didn't like my job. Decided I'd rather make much less money doing something I enjoy. Be finished Paramedic in a few months. 33 year old career change...

MkVity

Aut viam inveniam aut faciam.
I work in the Music industry at a TM/Personal level! EMS is in my family's blood so have finally stopped resisting and will following in my Fathers footsteps now. Looking forward to embracing the journey..

usmarine

Forum Ride Along
I'm new to working EMS (I start next week) although I've been in emergency services since 2010 kicking in doors. It's definitely going to be a change but I'm sure that some things may be the same.

OP
OP
PeacefulIce

PeacefulIce

Forum Probie
Thanks for all the replies!

EMT/Paramedics are a diverse bunch from the looks of it! Glad to know I'm not the only person who couldn't figure out what I wanted to be when I grow up!

Last edited: