Have my first internship tomorrow.

SC Bird

Forum Lieutenant
Have my first ride tomorrow from 10-10.

I am very anxious....but ready to actually get to practice some of the things I've gotten from the text.

Wish me luck...

-Matt

Tincanfireman

Airfield Operations
Have fun, relax, keep your eyes and ears open to everything. No one will be expecting too much, but try to do as much as you can. Bad luck for others = good luck for you. Make the best of it!

OP
OP
SC Bird

SC Bird

Forum Lieutenant
Well I had an absolutely great experience. We ran six calls total with a grabbag of chief complaints. A lot of it was some of the stuff that we had on our last test (from Thursday).

First call was a 52 y.o. female complaining of abdominal pain. History of diabetes and hypertension. BP 188/104, pulse 100, respirations at 20, O2 Sat at 100% on room air. Blood glucose at 125. Edema in both legs, but pt. denied history of CHF, COPD, etc. Semiambulatory bariatric pt. who is legally blind. Packaged and transported to hospital.

Second call was a response to a doctors office for a 71 y.o. male with chest pain. Greeted at side door by a female who led us to the pt.'s room. Pt. in high Fowler's position. Complaining of numbness and tingling originating in his neck and radiating down into his left arm. Pt. was pale, skin cool and damp. Pain was rated at a 5/10. Pulse 110, BP 174/88, O2 Sat at 98% on room air. Pt. has no history of heart problems but had carotid surgery a couple years ago. My paramedic partners hooked up him to 12 lead. Per paramedics he was sinus tach with PVC's. I placed pt. on O2 via NC at 4LPM. Medics gave pt. 4 baby aspirin and Nitro. Transported to ER.

Then we got back to the station. We were washing the truck when we got a call for chest pain at a senior center. We were cancelled two minutes later.

Well about a half hour later we got called to the same doctor's office that we had just been to. Call was female with chest pain. Turns out it was the same chest pain that we had been cancelled on.

Upon arrival, found 67 y.o. female in obvious distress. Pt was ashen, clammy, rapid respirations. Pt. was already on NC at 2LPM. Medics quickly hooked her up to 12 lead and started to get IV access. 12 lead showed pt. was in SVT with pulse at 155 (per paramedics, I was clueless about the rhythms but the medics were nice enough afterward to show me the basics). Medics pushed 6 mg of adenosine. Secondary vitals showed pulse of 68, BP of 94/50, O2 Sats 100%. Pt.'s condition drastically improved by time we transported a few minutes later. She was even joking with us about returning back to her card game.

Fourth call was for a foot laceration from stepping on a nail. Bandaged wound. Pt. had a ride to the hospital so did not want to go with us.

Fifth call was for 81 y.o. female who had fallen. Upon arrival, find pt. supine next to her bed. Pt. complains of intense pain in rt knee. During initial assessment, pt. reveals history of rheumatoid arthritis, hypertension. Removal of pt. from her bedroom was difficult because pt. was in excess of 400lbs. and had very small hallways. Utilized scoop stretcher to get pt. to our stretcher. Transported to ER.

Sixth call came out about an hour before I was scheduled to get off shift. Call was for 73 y.o. male in respiratory distress. Fire and EMS responding. Upon arrival, I can see pt. being attended to by fire dept. I open up the side door and firefighter walks pt. to me. Place pt on stretcher in high Fowler's position. Start pt on O2 via NRB at 10LPM. Pulse 106, BP 186/103, respirations labored at 42/min, O2 Sats at 98%. Auscultated pt.'s chest and heard inspiratory and expiratory wheezing up top. Unable to hear very much down low. Pt. has 2-3 word dyspnea. History of chronic bronchitis, diabetic and hypertension. Had his inhaler and revealed albuterol treatment from a couple of hours ago. Paramedics administered another albuterol treatment and began transport.

I gotta say, I felt that this was a great internship. I got to hear my first wheezes, see adenosine in action, and really started to feel the teamwork between myself and the medics I worked with. Preceptor gave me exceptional marks on my patient assessment, vitals, patient interviewing skills as well as aiding them in whatever ways I could.

It was freakin' AWESOME!!!! Can't wait for my next one in two weeks.

-Matt

Matt G.

Forum Probie
sounds good!! looks like all medical pt's.

Sounds like you documented everything well too! lol glad to hear you did good!

OP
OP
SC Bird

SC Bird

Forum Lieutenant
Yeah all medical except for the minor foot laceration. That was only a minor trauma. It was in an awkward place (right at the joint between the big toe and the sole of the foot on her right foot). It might have required stitches but she wanted to go to the doctor on her own.

I know the second I start hoping for a trauma....I won't be able to shake them off with a stick.

-Matt