Have a BA already

takl23

Forum Crew Member
Got my EMT ticket as well and looking at a local medic program. They offer both an associates and a certificate program. The certificate program tosses out the english composition I and II and a few other classes I've taken when I got my bachelors. It basically focuses on the medical part it's 14 classes versus 25 classes for the associates. The shorter schooling time frame is what really interests me.

Living in Massachusetts would an employer in ME, NH, or MA (I can easily commute to any of those states for work) look down on a certificate versus the associates for someone who has a BA in another field (non-medical). My goal is to work part-time/under 35 hours a week as I have a very flexible full time job and I would like to teach emergency medicine at some point once I am experienced. So those are my long term goals at least.

Thanks for any feed back!

medichopeful

Flight RN/Paramedic
Could you transfer the classes you already have into the Associate's Degree program?

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief
I was curious about this, as well. I would tend to think that:

BA + Associates ≥ BA + cert > Associates > Cert

unleashedfury

Forum Asst. Chief
transfer in the general education requirements,

Your English comp I and II and the other general educations you got with your bachelors.

But the Chem,BIO A&P courses that you will take as part of the associates program are only going to benefit you in your medic class along with your career. I did the same I have a associates in Mechanical Engineering, I transferred my math, and English and my Computer literacy course in. Taking Chem Bio, Med Term, A&P and Pharm courses.

OP
OP
T

takl23

Forum Crew Member
The school requires just A&P. I have A&P I under my belt from before. In any case looking at the fine print of the certificate program you must work as an EMT for 1 year (the ink on my ticket isn't dry yet) so it looks like the associates is what I will get.

Thanks for all the replies!

-Tim

Christopher

Forum Deputy Chief
The school requires just A&P. I have A&P I under my belt from before. In any case looking at the fine print of the certificate program you must work as an EMT for 1 year (the ink on my ticket isn't dry yet) so it looks like the associates is what I will get.

Thanks for all the replies!

-Tim

I don't know that there is any value in getting an AS in paramedicine if you already have a BA/BS.

I have a BS in Comp Sci and most assuredly would not have gone for an AS in paramedicine if given the option. An MS certainly.

The 1 year requirement of EMT makes me question the quality of this program. Only low quality schools require experience/OJT.

Last edited by a moderator:

ExpatMedic0

MS, NRP
What state(s) where you interested in possibly taking the paramedic program or degree in?

OP
OP
T

takl23

Forum Crew Member
Living in northeastern Mass I have looked at both NH and MA. The one school in Manchester, NH requires proof of 50 ALS calls in the previous year, which depending on where I work might not happen.

The program in Mass is at Northern Essex Community College. Looking at what will transfer it would appear I will basically be taking the classes for the certificate program but end up with an Associates.

Cost is a factor as well. I've seen a few private schools that you can get your medic through but the cost is over double of the college. I have enough student loan debt. :)

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
transfer in the general education requirements,

Your English comp I and II and the other general educations you got with your bachelors.

But the Chem,BIO A&P courses that you will take as part of the associates program are only going to benefit you in your medic class along with your career. I did the same I have a associates in Mechanical Engineering, I transferred my math, and English and my Computer literacy course in. Taking Chem Bio, Med Term, A&P and Pharm courses.

I took several Chem and Bio classes while in the process of getting my BA, I won't be taking those again if I go to medic school. There are plenty of people out there who have a non-science BA (mine is in Political Science) that still took those science classes.

polisciaggie

Forum Crew Member
I took several Chem and Bio classes while in the process of getting my BA, I won't be taking those again if I go to medic school. There are plenty of people out there who have a non-science BA (mine is in Political Science) that still took those science classes.

Yep! The funny thing is that I took Chemistry, Bio, Medical Terminology, A&P, and Pharmacology while working on my BA in Political Science. The first two were required, and the last three I took as electives.

unleashedfury

Forum Asst. Chief
I don't know that there is any value in getting an AS in paramedicine if you already have a BA/BS.

I have a BS in Comp Sci and most assuredly would not have gone for an AS in paramedicine if given the option. An MS certainly.

The 1 year requirement of EMT makes me question the quality of this program. Only low quality schools require experience/OJT.

Most programs don't require a 1 year EMT requirement but I agree, Getting the jitters out and seeing what goes on in EMS before advancing to a Paramedic level is a good idea. However it can be hurtful as a lot of EMT's go out and get their year of experience and seem to put medic school on the back burner never to return.

OTOH some of the premier paramedic schools here require at least 100 911 calls at the BLS level to be considered for entry along with A&P, Bio, Chem, a BLS written and skills exam. But there are others who require just have a EMT card and a pulse for admission. As far as quality of paramedic goes about even.

Last edited by a moderator: