Hate being called ambulance drivers!

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
I've been called worse....

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief
What are everybody's thoughts on this?

Once you develop thick skin, it no longer bothers you. A spine, thick skin, strong back and firmly descended testicles (or the feminine metaphorical equivalent) are major predictors of long term success in EMS.

dstevens58

Forum Lieutenant
After two years in EMS; followed by 13 years in varying forms of military medicine; followed by 20.5 years in law enforcement, and back to EMS again.......I've been called worse.:blush:

Epi-do

I see dead people
Eh...I don't really care. Like someone else already stated, I know what I can do, and that is all that really matters. I actually get called a firefighter more often than an ambulance driver, but we are a part of the FD. People make comments about the "female firefighter" quite often, and it is easier to just smile and go about my job than to try to explain to them how the whole civilian EMS thing works.

medic417

The Truth Provider
I've been called Doctor, driver, nurse, and worse. I don't care just pay me and don't call me late for supper.

ArcticKat

Forum Captain
Am I the only one who absolutely hates being called an ambulance driver? I find that to be one of the best ways to make somebody in EMS really angry. What are everybody's thoughts on this?

But we are ambulance drivers, it's part of what we do. just like police car drivers and fire truck drivers.

MedicJon88

Forum Crew Member
But we are ambulance drivers, it's part of what we do. just like police car drivers and fire truck drivers.

Emphasis on "Part" of what we do. It maybe be the proper title back in the olden days... where it required no training except gurney and driving. As my old trainer would like to say "a Monkey can operate the ambulance- judgment calls are what make this job tricky."

I've been called "transportation code2" by a fire captain over the radio... we really hated that especially because he wasn't a paramedic fire captain- he was an EMT like us. (notice I didn't say just an EMT?)

JPINFV

Gadfly
Emphasis on "Part" of what we do. It maybe be the proper title back in the olden days... where it required no training except gurney and driving. As my old trainer would like to say "a Monkey can operate the ambulance- judgment calls are what make this job tricky."

...but in LACo, most judgement calls at the paramedic level must be ran through medical control.

Hunter

Forum Asst. Chief
Of it's a random person I just say, yes I work on the ambulance, that keeps me from being just a driver and sometimes keeps me from having to explain that there's different levels off providers and all that to a civilian who most likely will never need the information in that much details.

Sent from my SGH-T759 using Tapatalk